Talk

Advanced search

Taking protein powder through customs as hand luggage?!

(6 Posts)
Loo5125 Tue 23-Jun-15 14:49:55

I'm going away for a week shortly and I am only taking hand luggage. I want to take some protein powder to make some shakes whilst I'm there but what are the rules on this with the liquids rule etc? Is it allowed? Thanks! x

PeterParkerSays Tue 23-Jun-15 15:07:11

Would it be a sealed purchased container, so from Holland and Barratt or somewhere, and then the extra thrown away at the end of your holiday or were you thinking of decanting some to take with you? I really wouldn't take a container of white powder in my hand luggage on a flight, whatever it was.

Also, depending on where you're going it might fall foul of that country's laws on importing food stuffs.

Loo5125 Tue 23-Jun-15 15:10:10

It's pink :D strawberry flavour haha. I was just going to bag some up from a pouch i already have. I may email the airport as I wouldn't want to have to throw it away - expensive stuff :\

specialsubject Wed 24-Jun-15 09:41:30

it's not a liquid, gel or paste. As mentioned customs may wonder what the powder is, and if you are going somewhere that has food why you would be taking it.

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 24-Jun-15 13:38:15

TBH I would leave it at home.

cluttered Wed 24-Jun-15 23:32:52

I think you may get pulled out for searching after Xray, I took some ground coffee in my hand luggage and was told that their machines can't distinguish between powder and liquid. Once your luggage fails the Xray they have to go through each item and re-scan individually as I don't think they know why it's failed Xray. If I was going to do that again and was allowed more than one piece of hand luggage e.g. on BA I would put it in the bag with hardly anything else in it and definitely not in hand luggage which had change of underwear, sanitary towels etc in case my hold baggage was delayed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now