Talk

Advanced search

Anyone crossed from Calais recently

(9 Posts)
Flappingandflying Thu 18-Jun-15 21:16:34

Has anyone done the ferry recently from Calais to Dover? We are booked for the summer but husband has friend who had a bad time coming back last summer when the traffic was backed up on the motorway and they were beseiged with immigrants some of whom were begging for them to take their child. Another acquantance had someone trying to hide under their horsebox. there has also been more and more accounts of lorry drivers having problems and coach companies stopping trips using that route. Am wondering if anyone has any real experience of how things are at the moment.

Methe Thu 18-Jun-15 21:19:15

Came back ove 30th May and check in was a joke. Got there an hour and a half before check in closed and still missed our ferry as they took so bloody long checking everyone in. I think they're made changes to the passport checking process.

Didn't see any migrants on the roads but you can see the camp from the road you drive in and out of the docks on.

Flappingandflying Fri 19-Jun-15 09:28:47

Thank you. What time were you supposed to go? We are booked on the 20.35 but are now toying with the idea of getting a later ine hoping that the queues won't be as bad.

Methe Fri 19-Jun-15 19:01:24

We were there at 4 for a 5.35 ferry I think. We were bumped to the 7.30 ferry .

I was not happy.

ivykaty44 Fri 19-Jun-15 19:04:57

My father came back four weeks ago and there wasn't any issue, same last September, no issue.

Gfplux Sat 20-Jun-15 20:36:06

We did the trip at the end of April. No problems at all.

forgivenminds Sun 21-Jun-15 08:38:50

Is the eurotunnel having issues or is that a different route ?

pressone Tue 23-Jun-15 17:34:34

There are many more migrants in Calais than there were last summer. FCO advice is to ensure that you keep your vehicle locked at all times, including when you are in it travelling towards the port.

The situation is bad en route to Coquelles (Eurotunnel terminal) also.

There are not enough passport kiosks to deal with the amount of traffic in the summer. They are building more at the moment but lots of people who were trying for jobs in immigration and customs were told the jobs had been pulled because of the government cut backs so I don't know if anyone will be in the passport checking kiosks.

muzzybee Tue 23-Jun-15 18:02:17

Yes - have done Calais to Dover ferry twice in the past month. When we came back on the Wednesday of half term mid day we were stuck in a lane of stationary lorries with hundreds of migrants running around. The police were there but vastly outnumbered. The ferry was late leaving due to the chaos with migrants entering the lorries etc.

Ten days ago I passed through on Friday mid afternoon and the traffic was free flowing and there was no one on the motorway.

The situation is definitely worse than last summer. Last summer there were people on the motorway but we didn't see anyone jumping on a lorry. Now they are opening the lorries in broad daylight and the camp is a lot more obvious at the side of the road.

It does all depend on how the traffic is moving as you approach the port and it is hard to predict when to go to avoid it. I would definitely say drive with the car locked.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now