Talk

Advanced search

Edinburgh: 3 day mini break in July, what to see?

(24 Posts)
NecklessMumster Wed 17-Jun-15 14:58:16

Hi, both ds away on school trips so me and dp having 3 days away on Edinburgh. Any ideas what to do /see/ where to eat/drink? Saw the castle years ago . On limited budget (spent it on school trips), any ideas welcome, thanks

3nationsfamily Thu 18-Jun-15 10:54:33

This is a great starting point. www.buzzfeed.com/hilarywardle/edinburgh-in-a-day#.ybNOeLXYav

NecklessMumster Thu 18-Jun-15 13:09:01

Thank you 3 nations, I will check out those places on a map and try and get my bearings before we go

3nationsfamily Thu 18-Jun-15 17:09:21

Also lots of good suggestions here www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel_Guide-g186525-Edinburgh_Scotland.html

NecklessMumster Thu 18-Jun-15 19:37:13

Thanks, am working my way round TripAdvisor. Hopefully won't just drink in the hotel and fall asleep!

dottygamekeeper Thu 18-Jun-15 23:29:50

Marking place as I have to go to Edinburgh for work next week and am extending my stay to have a chance to explore!

Chocolateteabag Fri 19-Jun-15 23:03:50

Go to Gardeners Cottage - £35 a head for a set menu (taster so 7/8 courses) food is amazing. It's a teeny cottage set into a grass bank just outside the centre (walkable from Harvey nicks in about 10 mins I'd say) you sit on one of two long tables so feels v cosy.

TheGirlOnTheLanding Fri 19-Jun-15 23:34:07

Depends on what you're interested in, but the galleries are pretty good (Modern Art, Portrait Gallery and National Gallery). The last two are very central, the Modern Art gallery is a shortish and very pretty walk away. There's a great Lee Miller and Picasso exhibition on at The Portrait Gallery at the moment.

If the weather is dry and clear and you want a great view of the city, you can't beat the short stroll up Calton Hill - less strenuous than Arthur's Seat but what a view.

For good but well priced eating, I'd recommend The Dogs. There are also great seafood places down at The Shore (Leith).

HerrenaHarridan Sat 20-Jun-15 00:03:05

You could come and see me smile

Depends what you're into, edinburghs got a little of everything.

Architecture? Real Mary kings close, grass market, royal mile

Culture? National museum of Scotland on chambers st you could spend the whole 3 days in and still be hungry for more

Sub-culture? Cowgate, city art centre, re:made

Posh food? A truely incredible patisserie on the bridges, Michelin starred restaurant

Vegan delicacies? Forrest cafe, no contest.

Harrods is opposite Louis vitton or there are two particularly good streets for charity shops

3nationsfamily Sat 20-Jun-15 13:50:09

Harrods?. I think you mean Harvey Nicholls��

Iggi999 Sat 20-Jun-15 14:01:53

You could go on a tram wink

NecklessMumster Sun 21-Jun-15 09:43:52

Thanks everyone. I like art exhibitions and love Lee Miller so will drag dp round something arty. I like museums but don't want to get too knackered. Will check out food places but we are on a budget. Tram sounds good? Need to work out transport and buses etc. Just want an interesting mooch and somewhere to go in the evenings/.music/ pubs. ..

Iggi999 Sun 21-Jun-15 11:14:57

Bus dead easy, get a £3.50 day ticket when you get on first thing and you can use it all day. Lothian buses and tram.

HermioneWeasley Sun 21-Jun-15 11:17:14

Royal yatch Britannia is supposed to be worth a visit

Iggi999 Sun 21-Jun-15 11:24:24

Where (roughly) is your hotel? As I imagine you want your evening drinks to be nearby.

NecklessMumster Sun 21-Jun-15 18:12:23

I didn't book it but think it's near royal terrace

TheGirlOnTheLanding Sun 21-Jun-15 20:06:39

That's really central - Broughton St is very nearby and there are loads of reasonably priced places to eat there as well as a couple of nice pubs (The Barony, the Cask and Barrel.) also recommend The Cafe Royal Bar just a five minute walk up to near Princes St - it's a gorgeous horseshoe shaped bar with lovely tiles on the walls (the adjoining restaurant is lovely too but quite pricy.)

Iggi999 Sun 21-Jun-15 20:49:17

A pp mentioned Gardeners cottage which will be very close to your hotel by the sound of it. You will be well positioned for a stroll into town, either the new or old bit.

NecklessMumster Tue 23-Jun-15 10:19:05

Brilliant, thanks

Cornonthecob Sun 28-Jun-15 19:01:29

I would totally recommend camera obscura its next to the castle on the Royal Mile, loads of interesting interactive illusions and had the Ames room which was personally my highlight! We went with DC but enjoyed it just as much!! You can exchange tesco Clubcard vouchers for tix!

I would also recommend climbing the Scots Monument, cheap and cheerful and great views at the top!

Second Calton Hill, lovely up there and stunning views!

Forth road bridge is also stunning, head towards south Queensferry walk around the village, nice tea rooms, views....

hth's have fun!

budgiegirl Thu 02-Jul-15 14:56:58

I'd second a walk up Carlton Hill, the views are lovely (and it's free). And Scott Monument. Also walk the length of the Royal Mile, down to Holyrood, where you can go in to the Scottish Parliament building
(also free), which is very modern and quite a contrast to everything around it.

If you like unusual cocktails, try Panda and Sons, it's a bar disguised as a barber shop, and you have to walk through a bookcase to get into it, very quirky !

Dowser Thu 02-Jul-15 21:18:51

We did the zoo which was fantastic and the pandas....brilliant.

Royal yacht Britannia also excellent. Even though I've done it twice before.

Greyfriars churchyard,,,very atmospheric...check out the black mausoleum. Mr woods fossils shop in green market.

Nice for a meal or drink in the sun.

I prefer the castle side to the shops side.. I'm easily p,eased was fascinated watching planes drop down every thirty seconds right In front of me at the airport...but it won't suit everyone...lol

SunshineAndShadows Thu 02-Jul-15 21:31:56

Day tickets are £4 now!

NecklessMumster Fri 03-Jul-15 08:44:20

Thanks, came back yesterday, did: open top bus,modern art, portrait and national galleries (Lee Miller and Escher), Calton Hill, Broughton St pubs and nice Mexican bar, little bit of water of Leith walk, Real Mary Kings Close, Cafe Royal pub, Cask and Barrel, Jenners cafe, tram, grass market and had a good mooch . wanted to get to leith and Stockbridge but ran out of time, but had a brilliant time, thanks everyone smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now