Talk

Advanced search

Cycling holiday for the Family, (including 8 & 10 yrs )

(7 Posts)
Newhere2 Tue 16-Jun-15 13:36:54

Hello,

Has anyone done a family cycling holiday? I'd love some advice on if they are good or not.

I've been looking at Austria, but am open to anywhere. Both children are good cyclists and ride each weekend.

Any good companies?
Anything to avoid?

thx

OldBeanbagz Tue 16-Jun-15 14:59:41

We did a one week cycling holiday in Holland when DC were 9 and 6 years old.

We booked via Freedom Treks though the holiday was sold throughout Europe by differnt companies. As such we were with French, Italian, Spanish and British families. it was a guided trip led by two multilingual young guys.

The kids had no problem making friends despite the language barrier. The cycling was easy (max 25km/day) and there was somewhere of interest to visit every day. Best of all the 'hotel' was a barge so it sailed along all day and we'd just meet up with it late afternoon.

I have looked at their other holidays but can't quite work on into our schedule. I need to find a trip that will take children but is challenging enough as DC are now capable of riding much longer journeys.

Newhere2 Wed 17-Jun-15 14:03:29

thanks that is really helpful. I saw the one with a barge following and I really like that idea, not having to change 'hotels' each evening.

CMOTDibbler Wed 17-Jun-15 14:09:47

We've been thinking about doing one - I quite fancy the Danube cycle path.

We're also considering somewhere like this where we could cycle and do other sports

rasrub Wed 17-Jun-15 14:20:05

We did the Danube years ago - it's great because it's flat!
We also did cycling south of Krakow in Poland which is very pretty and like the Alps. I am not a great cyclist but even I managed it because they start at a high point so a lot of it is downhill from there. We went with Bird Service.

OldBeanbagz Wed 17-Jun-15 16:57:46

The not changing 'hotels' every night is what attracted us to the barge one as pre-DC we went on a lot of cycling trips (with Exodus) and the packing & unpacking every morning/night is very tiresome.

Newhere2 Wed 17-Jun-15 20:31:40

thanks. Ive contacted a few companies to get more details.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now