Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Eurodisney - where the bloody nora to start....??

(15 Posts)
tokentotty Sun 14-Jun-15 21:44:20

We've finally decided we'll take the 3 buggers (8,6&4) to ED at the end of the October half term. We're also taking the outlaws with us, so 4 adults and 3 kids in total. Now we live in London but have no idea whether to drive or take the train, what the benefits/negatives of the various options hotelwise are (train and use shuttle buses or drive and drive into park each day). I genuinely do not know where to start to make informed decisions about what works best for us. We can't afford to stay at the main Disney hotels in the park so when we look at the packages the accommodation we've seen at our price point varies from a Marriot which is self-catering town houses or hotels like Explorers where you use shuttles etc. Please can you all help advise on what might be the best option and share some experiences of train vs Car?? Many thanks in advance

cogitosum Sun 14-Jun-15 21:46:20

There's a Facebook group called Disneyland Paris for Brits that has loads of advice.

We've not driven but would recommend train it was so easy. They pick up bags at the station and take them straight to hotel so super easy.

superram Sun 14-Jun-15 21:49:05

We stayed in the Disney hotel 5 in a room and it was so handy being so close. Don't go to Davy Crockett as driving is a pain and you may have to drive to the restaurant anywhere with a shuttle should be fine just get up very early .

TensionWheelsCoolHeels Sun 14-Jun-15 21:49:31

If you are in London I'd get the train. You can walk to the park from the Disney hotels. My preferred hotel (cos it's slightly cheaper but not the cheapest) is the sequoia - it's 5 mins walk to the parks. It's also got a pool (but we never saw that as we spent most time in parks).

There are probably cheaper drive/hotel options but I've not tried those. You get extra magic hours if you stay in a Disney hotel which means you can get the popular rides out the way/avoid the queues before the main gates open.

Rivercam Sun 14-Jun-15 21:51:44

I'd recommend going by train as well.

However, don'tt automatically assume the accomadation/ticket/travel packages are the cheapest. We found it cheaper to book the train separately from the ticket/accomadation.

Have fun!

tokentotty Sun 14-Jun-15 22:09:44

I just wondered if driving would give us the freedom to take the kids back to our accommodation for a nap in the afternoon to leave them fresher for the parades etc that are later on in the evening. Do the shuttle buses offer the convenience of doing that easily? Hence wondering what driving to the park and parking were like.

tokentotty Sun 14-Jun-15 22:15:56

Tensionwheelscooldeals, does the Sequoia offer the early hours at the park then? Do you buy the tickets from them in advance and they all offer them?

TensionWheelsCoolHeels Mon 15-Jun-15 00:21:58

All the Disney hotels give you extra magic hours - at least that was the case when we were there a few years ago. You honestly don't need a car if you are able to walk. The closest is the Disney hotel, that's practically in the park, next is the New York hotel then the sequoia is next along. Can't remember what's beside that - you can even walk from the Santa Fe & the other cheapest - I never figured out where to go & feet at the end of the day are sore so the 15/20 mins back to hotel just seemed too much. The sequoia was just 5 mins & meant we didn't have to q for a shuttle bus either.

TensionWheelsCoolHeels Mon 15-Jun-15 00:24:34

Sorry, forgot to add, we got a voucher/slip from sequoia when we booked into our room at the hotel - you showed that to the staff in the park & they let you by the ropes into the open areas. Not every part is open but you can get a good few rides like the dumbo one, or buzz light year out the way.

Happynow Mon 15-Jun-15 00:24:55

Just don't go! It's beyond awful, save your money grin)

hairhelpplease Mon 15-Jun-15 16:39:50

We stayed at the adagio which uses the shuttle bus. £45 a night in February for a one bed apartment. It was next to val d Europe and the supermarket. 5 minutes to the parks.

We bought our own tickets from super trips.

Going back to the room for a refresher won't really be an option in October as the parade is at 5/6 and then the park closes at 7/8 so you'd miss out on too much if you went back. Just adjust your day for staying until park closing.

You can still train it and stay off site. Val de Europe is just one stop away by train or as I say the shuttle buses run frequently.

TealFanClub Mon 15-Jun-15 16:41:01

god yes train

Toffeelatteplease Mon 15-Jun-15 21:08:00

OK beginners guide:

You have three types of hotel: off site, associated hotels and Disney Hotels.

Disney Hotels have the advantage of mostly being walking distance to the parks, Early opening of the most popular rides, and a shopping service where you can get any souvenirs sent back to your hotel. they are also more expensive and expect to drop a quality star compared to associated and offsite. You can also shuttle bus to the park

Associated hotels are close, have shuttle buses and generally offer better value for money than Disney Hotels. No extra magic hours, no walking distance, no shopping service. My Explorers and one of the others offer slightly bigger rooms but I think they may be one person short of catering for you group size in one room. My Expolers is lovely (fantastic food) I have heard good things about the others

Both of the above offer to possibility of going back to you hotel room for a break between hours. Depending on the day the park does open later certain days in the October half term.

Off site will be cheaper and better value for money. It will not be easy getting back to your hotel purely from the size of the car parks.

I haven't stayed offsite for me the convenience of being walking distance to the park is important. Personally I would stay less time but onsite or associated, it will be a significantly easier stay. if budget is an issue look at the budget associated over the sante fe.

I can recommend if you are checking out prices for associated and disney looking at My explorers (associated, lovely), Cheyenne (Disney, good reviews) and Sequoia (Disney, on my 6 visit next year and a definite fav). Never found the price varies for Disney and assoc whether you buy direct from Disney or not. Don't forget parking and entry if you are doing comparison. If you are buying separate (which usually is cheaper, you need to add the luggage service separately)

NOW transport.

Without doubt the easiest way for you to travel would be Eurostar. It takes you straight to the centre of the complex, If you are at a disney hotel you can dump your bags at the station and they will get taken back to the hotel while you go straight to the park.

HOWEVER I very much doubt Eurostar will be the cheapest. FOR me I is cheaper to fly budget airline into CDG (Charles de guelle), even including private transfers to the airport and from CDG to Disneyland paris. so don't rule this out. if you stay within the shuttle bus transportation system, you don't need car transport during your stay.

offsite I would be tempted to look into an hotel on the train line to marnee de chessey over car.

If someone is happy to drive Eurotunnel offers pretty good value for money and earlier start on the first day of your stay.

Happy to help any further if I can

mamabluestar Wed 17-Jun-15 09:32:05

Lots of advice given in previous posts - you will all love it smile

We used the Eurostar and would do so again even though we live in the north east. Its just so easy snd comfortable to use.

Disney express, if staying on site, is brilliant and helps you to make the most of your time

123Jump Wed 17-Jun-15 10:19:00

OP, we went to ED 3 years ago. We drove, and stayed at Davy Crockett. We went outside school holidays.
The Davy Crockett was lovely. There is a shop onsite and we met loads of the Disney characters there. There are some nice outside spaces, and a restaurant/pizzeria.
there is also a brilliant swimming pool, with water slides and lazy river.
We got up in the mornings, had breakfast, then drove to the park. No problem parking. Would spend until after lunch at the park, then head back to DC for a swim/rest. Then head back for another stint in the late afternoon.
It all worked very well for us, and I was 7 months pregnant.
We are planning on going again next year, but will do the Disney Hotel this time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now