Talk

Advanced search

Canada - what gifts should I get DH to buy?

(14 Posts)
JimbosJetSet Sun 14-Jun-15 09:00:18

DH is going to Ontario next week for a few days and will get the opportunity to hit the shops on my behalf - what should I ask him to buy? We are in the UK. I'm thinking along the lines of cosmetics, toiletries, children's clothes - anything a particularly good price or unique to Canada? Thanks smile

HairyMcMary Sun 14-Jun-15 09:15:15

I think MAC is Canadian and prices much cheaper?
Maple syrup!

JimbosJetSet Sun 14-Jun-15 12:57:23

Thanks! I will have a look for the Canadian MAC website smile

HairyMcMary Sun 14-Jun-15 13:28:32

When I was there a lot GAP and other American brands were much cheaper - and there is / was a scheme where you can claim back the tax on anything over $C50. Lots of things were good value - I bought all my stainless steel pans in Canada.

But of course it is all dependent on the exchange rate.

I used to stock up on Lip Medex - a fantastic lip balm which has a menthol / analgesic effect and comes in a v classic small blue tub. Available everywhere on chemist counters etc. Lip Medex

JimbosJetSet Sun 14-Jun-15 17:24:27

Thanks Hairy!

Kez100 Thu 18-Jun-15 08:08:24

My DD bought back some cheaper than the UK Urban Decay, Victoria Secret and Vans. Plus some maple syrup (which is delicious) and a mini Canadian Mountie (pity it wasn't the real thing, but there you go).

ggirl Thu 18-Jun-15 08:13:38

I go to Canada every year (family) , used to be bargainous but sadly they have caught up with us now , if anything loads of stuff is more expensive.
Some things I do find cheaper are Levi's ,bought from Sears or The Bay or similar.
Mac is not much cheaper than here ,I don't bother getting that anymore..I do go to sephora and go a bit mad but that's cos there is no sephora in UK anymore.

ramonaquimby Thu 18-Jun-15 08:16:58

And you can no longer claim tax back on purchases over a certain amount, that ended a few years ago. There aren't really any bargains like ggirl said unless you come across a good sale/discount code!

Millymollymama Thu 18-Jun-15 20:33:55

I love books about where I have been. I know this is your DH, but a coffee table book of Canada would be lovely. I don't think there are great bargains but he may find something handmade, eg jewellery.

CheeseEMouse Thu 18-Jun-15 20:46:17

I like clothes from Roots Canada.

lazydog Mon 22-Jun-15 04:43:23

Absolutely nothing any more! I remember holidays in Canada in the 90s and lots of things seemed much cheaper than the UK, but now (living in BC for the last 10 years) I struggle to think of anything other than gas and hydro (sorry, petrol and electricity grin ) Neither of any use to you!

SteveBrucesNose Mon 22-Jun-15 05:09:52

I also love roots, it's fab

Get him to pick up some ice wine if you can, it's a dessert wine made at niagara. There's not many places worldwide that produce it.

westcoastnortherneragain Mon 22-Jun-15 05:15:54

Lululemon yoga gear, roots, Mac, great winter accessories that will actually withstand the cold, BC wine is fabulous

clare21 Wed 24-Jun-15 13:02:29

Maple butter. It's a thick sugary yummy thing you spread on toast. No butter in it, just maple syrup that's been boiled til thick. I've stopped buying maple syrup now you can get here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now