Traditional Greek resort anyone?

(17 Posts)
Talou1 Sat 13-Jun-15 12:34:58

Hi,
I am looking for a traditional greek resort, nice beach, tavernas, reasonably lively for the kids but not too brits abroad, oh and near some historical sites. Happy to hire a car. Does such a place exist? The places I find are either too quiet or too Brits abroad. Is there something in the middle anywhere?

Cheers

Losingmyreligion Sat 13-Jun-15 12:36:48

Good luck with that. Will be reading with interest. Nowhere on Rhodes, I can tell you.

SunnyBaudelaire Sat 13-Jun-15 12:38:20

you could try the Koroni area in Messinia, Peloponnese, south of Kalamata.

SooticaTheWitchesCat Sun 14-Jun-15 13:18:27

Stoupa, on the mainland. Mastihari on Kos. Kalives on Crete.

hooliodancer Sun 14-Jun-15 19:30:47

North east Corfu. San Stephanos is gorgeous but may be too quiet. There are other villages with a bit more going on but still not Brits abroad.

Skopelos might also fit the bill, it is traditional but has lively bars in the evening.

Parga is also worth looking at, although it is more of a resort.

Paxos is fabulous, Gaios is quite bustling and Lakka is the most resort like bit, but again no bingo and karaoke!

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sun 14-Jun-15 19:35:53

OP, are you me???

Exactly the same question I've been wondering.

I've heard Kassiopi in Corfu perhaps? Would be interested in opinions on that.

Jermajesty Sun 14-Jun-15 19:37:01

www.go-thassos.gr/about-thassos
We went to Thassos a few years ago, not Brits abroad when we were there.

Sleepyfergus Sun 14-Jun-15 19:39:27

Few years back now, but we stayed in a villa about 10 mins outside Rethymon on Crete. It's about an hour or so west from Heraklion airport. Costal village/town with harbour, lots of lovely restaurants shops but not overly touristy, castle and historical sites nearby. Gorgeous. Would love to go back.

castlesintheair Sun 14-Jun-15 20:10:00

Lots of The Cyclades are un Brits abroad: Kea (very popular with Athenians as quite close), Sifnos and Serifos and my personal favourite Syros. All have great beaches and food. Very popular with Greeks. Kassos and Kastellorizo in The Dodacenese are very Greek. Greek expats in Oz flock to the former during the summer. There are lots of "resorts" on big islands that are more authentic too. Paliohora in Crete for example is one of the few Greek Island resorts that is open all year. I haven't been there for a few years though so it could have changed! Peloponese very Greek and popular with Athenians. As pp said, south of Kalamata v. nice. Quite a few English there in April 4 years ago which surprised me, though that is "the time to go" of course.

There's a guy called Matt Barrett (I think) who writes a very good Greek travel guide. I think he lives there or has lived there. There are lots of places that match your criteria, you just have to maybe travel a bit more extensively to get to them.

castlesintheair Sun 14-Jun-15 20:18:33

I think you'd really like Sifnos actually. A good balance of liveliness v authentic "greekness". Very pretty and lovely beaches, stuff to see and easy to get to - 3 hours fast ferry from Athens iirc.

SooticaTheWitchesCat Mon 15-Jun-15 11:12:10

We are going to North Corfu this year, to Roda, which is near Kassiopi, it looks just the kind of small traditional resort you are looking for.

SunnyBaudelaire Mon 15-Jun-15 11:20:57

yes I agree with the suggestion of Sifnos, or any of those small islands in the Cyclades, such as Schinoussa or Donoussa or Anafi - they are not really 'Brits abroad' and you can access most of them from Naxos, which is worth a stay in itself.

Talou1 Mon 15-Jun-15 21:09:33

Thks so much for all yr replies. I'll have fun checking them out. Sounds promising.

ChaostheCat Tue 16-Jun-15 18:42:09

Arillas, North West Corfu is lovely. Vassiiki on Lefkas - good for beach water sports (wind surfing, dingy sailing), Ithaca is lovely but a bit of a pain to get to but I'd recommend Kioni in the north of the island, picture postcard pretty but best avoided high season purely because of the day trip boats from other islands. Stoupa on the mainland good as well & some good historical sites within driving distance.

DPotter Tue 16-Jun-15 18:54:55

Lemnos / Limnos - island & capital called the same. There are some brits but the vast majority are greeks. Lovely place

FuzzyWizard Tue 16-Jun-15 18:59:24

Lindos? Although admittedly it was a few years ago that I was there.

MsGee Fri 19-Jun-15 17:55:12

We stay in Kaminaki in NE Corfu which is lovely, but perhaps too quiet for what you want. In the next bay in the Nissaki Beach Hotel which also looks nice. I would stay anywhere from past Dassia in NE Corfu up to St Spyridon. Not Arillas though. Its awful. I have heard good things about Roda but never been.

If you decide on NE Corfu feel free to PM me as I have been there quite a few times.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now