Talk

Advanced search

If you had £500 for 3 night honeymoon....where would you go?

(9 Posts)
ArtyFartyQueen Mon 25-May-15 20:08:32

Help! Future MIL and FIL have very kindly given us £500 to go away in August (without the kids) and we are wondering where to go! We were thinking of going somewhere remote like Wales in a Yurt, cosy cottage or something similar but we were up for considering other ideas and would love to have your thoughts!

Millymollymama Mon 25-May-15 20:45:22

Paris is pretty empty in August so that should be doable. 3 nights in a cottage in August may not be bookable. Most people want you to book a week in high season. I would like a country hotel myself. If you could add a bit to it, I think you could book somewhere lovely.

FiveExclamations Mon 25-May-15 20:57:45

We had a fantastic 3 night honeymoon here Cookes of Clay. Lots of lovely places to go in the area to spend the remaining money. I'd especially recommend Burnham Overy Staithe, if you enjoy a walk there is a 2 mile ish foot path to a secluded beach which has a natural lagoon last time I was there.

caramelgirl Mon 25-May-15 21:03:14

La rosa campsite in the North York moors is amazing. And they have a fab hotel in whitby centre too.
So arrive in Whitby early, catch the NYMR steam train out to Goathland, nice pub lunch, amble along the forest track to the campsite.
Couole of hours sitting around then walk out to the smallest pub ever for pork pie and a drink. Take a torch for the way back.
Most accommodation on the la rosa campsite is in restored vintage caravans with retro decor, but cotton sheets etc.. They have a new brick place with a personal loo too now! Otherwise it is a sawdust drop loo but in an old fortune telling caravan - cute. Plus they have fires in caravans and bonfires out. And a dress up box! Also an outdoor hot bath or showers with a wind up gramophone in a swallow nesting barn.
Then the next day eat whatever breakfast you brought with you- instant porridge that you can just pour boilimg water on eg. Then wander off to catch the steam train back to Whitby.
In Whitby check into their amazing la rosa hotel and then head to the fabulous long beach. Walk up to the Abbey. Lovely book shops around etc.
Drive to nearby Robins Hood Bay.

Whitby is brilliant. We honeymooned there and then went back last year with family and did some more escape stuff with my parents babysitting.
Otherwise Budapest is amsxkng but possibly pushing budget.
have a brilliant time

uggmum Mon 25-May-15 21:07:49

We went to Paris last July and it was lovely to wander without the dc. Although it's a busy city we found it relaxing.

Or a nice hotel in the lakes. It can be busy in August but there are adult only hotels.

There is a fort in the Solent that's been made into a luxury hotel. It looks amazing. It is expensive but they had it on Secret Escapes the other day with loads of money off

Blueberrybaby Mon 25-May-15 21:25:47

Would you consider Edinburgh? August is festival month; fringe, international. Lots of comedy and interesting performances. It will be busy of course but a fun place to enjoy especially sans kids!

BiscuitMillionaire Mon 25-May-15 21:33:46

I think that you'll be able to do country cottages with the kids in future, but city breaks are not so much fun with kids, so I would take the opportunity to go to a romantic city such as Florence or Amsterdam.

StupidBloodyKindle Mon 25-May-15 21:47:31

I'm with blueberry
3 nights in Edinburgh, see a couple of comedians and/or theatre and/or gigs, walk up Arthur's seat/Salisbury crags/St. Mary's close, relive your youth and get pissed at the Pleasance/Gilded balloon/ late'n'live.
Have some nice lunches on Princes Street, or a curry or share some fish and chips, salt and sauce. A lovely place to be in August. Recommend it heartily.

thatstoast Mon 25-May-15 21:52:51

Barcelona is good for a short city break.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now