What is the best type of luggage for a multi destination trip

(7 Posts)
BrilliantlyStupid Fri 22-May-15 09:51:27

What type of luggage do you think is easiest for a 3 week summer road trip with 7 different accommodation stops. 1 international flight and 1 domestic flight. 1 hire car. 2 adults, 2 kids. Happy to pack light as we are moving around so want minimum stress/ease of loading car etc. Are suitcases or holdalls easier? Definitely not backpacks as I like to be able to open a bag and see what is there without having to root around. What has worked best for your family?

specialsubject Fri 22-May-15 20:36:38

big holdall, wheels and handles on cases are a pain to use outside airports and add loads of useless weight.

with a hire car, holdalls are the best. Cases don't squash and aside from the weight, are a nuisance to fit in car boots.

Smurfingreat Fri 22-May-15 20:49:52

Personally I prefer bags with wheels, and have used them for multi destination trips round NZ and the states.

Apart from that, packing cubes are amazing for keeping stuff separate. If you are moving between self catering or motels, a cheap coolbag is great so you can take milk and other essentials between places and keep lunch cool on the road. I also take a couple of packable shopping bags for stuff that you pick up along the way/don't want to stick in a suitcase every day/dirty laundry.

BrilliantlyStupid Fri 22-May-15 20:59:39

Thanks for your thoughts. Packing cubes look good and a cool bag is a great idea.

alteredimages Fri 22-May-15 21:02:19

I have holdalls with wheels. I like them, though they are a bit heavy if you are worried about bag weight for the flights.

I also have a foldable holdall that I keep in the pocket of my bag in case I need an extra bag on the way back. Which I always do.

Off to investigate packing cubes...

BrilliantlyStupid Fri 22-May-15 21:29:22

Have just ordered packing cubes - think they will be perfect to help us stay organised. Am liking the idea of a foldable holdall as even if we pack light we will shop heavy!

nornironrock Mon 25-May-15 15:16:16

You absolutely cannot go wrong with a Base Camp Duffel from The North Face for a holdall, and a Rolling Thunder (also The North Face) for a wheeled trunk. They may be expensive, but they are superb. I use both a lot for travel all over with my job... Worth the investment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now