Talk

Advanced search

Italy- multi centre holidays

(13 Posts)
Shireslass Thu 14-May-15 21:15:05

Hi, has anyone got any experience of a multi centre holiday?
I am thinking of booking one but not sure where to start. Some of the companies are unfamiliar and I am nervous about booking with them.
Thanks

Rosa Thu 14-May-15 21:21:20

What places are you thinking of visiting??

Shireslass Thu 14-May-15 21:25:12

Rome, Venice and Florence

Rosa Thu 14-May-15 21:31:21

DIY you will save loads. Book the hotels direct or with a company like booking or venere. , flights easy now to book one ways then 90 days out book rail tickets ...www.trenitalia.it or italotreno there are some great pirces if you book early. There are no holiday comps that offer rep service any more so you are paying someone to do exactly what you can do yourself Don't forget insurance. I can help with specifics on Venice for you.

Shireslass Thu 14-May-15 21:45:06

Wow thank you! Am going to start looking now! I am very excited. I saw train tickets between Rome and Venice are very cheap.
I am not fussy with regards hotels so cheap and cheerful is fine.

Millymollymama Fri 15-May-15 13:41:17

Be careful - they might not be so cheerful! You can always check with bookings.com or trip advisor before you book.

lavendersun Fri 15-May-15 13:52:05

Italy is our favourite holiday destination. Always DIY and often multiple locations. Train travel is efficient and reasonably priced.

Before I got married I used to travel alone through Italy, always felt very safe.

We have been twice this year already, because we decided not to ski and got two trips for less than the cost of a ski trip. We have already booked for October half term, BA flights, hotels (not trains yet) for three of us in 4* hotels, Florence, Rimini and Bologna ..... for £330 each (6 nights).

Look at BA.com, you can do multi destination trips and if you book far enough ahead it is really good value.

This is our Bologna hotel, can't find the bookmarks for the others.

www.hotelinternazionalebologna.com/en/

SJane45S Fri 15-May-15 16:29:04

Definitely book it yourself! Last summer we went from Nice through to the Italian Riviera, ending up in Milan. Whoever has mentioned Trenitalia is spot on - the fares in advance were 9 Euro's each. They also give you allocated seats on set trains so you don't have to go through the palaver of getting your tickets validated as you do with other Italian train tickets. If you go by train would really really recommend taking backpacks - not v glamorous obviously but we took suitcases which we had to drag down narrow corridors on fast moving trains with automatic doors - a nightmare!

Venice, Florence and Rome are all fab destinations - they are really hot and really crowded during the height of summer though, Venice especially so as the throughfares are so narrow. Tripadvisor is the place to look for hotels. If you're looking for a hotel recommendation in Florence, the Hotel Kraft is reasonably priced and the room are ok but it has a roof top pool and brilliant brilliant views! Ca' Bragadin Carabba is nice in Venice. If you go to Venice, do not stay in Lido de Jesolo, it's a vile strip of concrete!

Have an amazing time!

APlaceOnTheCouch Fri 15-May-15 16:32:45

You could consider renting an apartment rather than staying in hotels. We stayed in fab apartments in Rome and Venice.

I'm envy - I love Italy!

lavendersun Fri 15-May-15 17:07:56

APlace - we would love an apartment but only tend to spend two nights in each place before moving on - that makes it harder. Who have you booked through in the past?

43cupsoftea Fri 15-May-15 17:25:42

The trains in Italy are brilliant, as are the buses. I'd DIY too, trip advisor hotels and skyscanner for flights. Love Italy. Next year for us!

revealall Fri 15-May-15 23:08:11

Do Milian just for a weekend and see The Last Supper. Small group, booking essential. In a church painted on a wall. Outstanding.

APlaceOnTheCouch Wed 20-May-15 23:09:04

Sorry I just noticed your question. I'll have a look in my emails and see if I can find them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now