How to claim a flight delay compensation?

(8 Posts)
Dreamgirl1111 Fri 08-May-15 12:58:07

Our plane was delayed and we missed our connection flight with Alitalia.
The next available flight was in the next day and we were put in a hotel and fed dinner and breakfast.
To add insult to injury, our luggage was lost and delivered two days later.
I wonder if I would be entitled for a compensation.
I was told that if I have spent money as a result of the delay and if I can provide receipts, those will be reimbursed.
However, as it was the end of our holiday, I was short of cash and was too afraid to spend more money, not knowing if I will be paid back. I have also lost one day from work and my daughter a day off from a very expensive school.
What and how can I claim?

PatriciaHolm Fri 08-May-15 14:30:27

What you can claim will depend on who you were flying with, how far, and how delayed you were; Which has a good guide -

www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/problem/i-had-a-flight-cancellation-can-i-claim-compensation-#link-8

FairyPenguin Mon 11-May-15 22:28:50

It depends on why the flight was delayed. I have claimed before in very similar situation, got £400 per passenger. I went on the airline website and claimed from there. Very straightforward.

helloalll Mon 11-May-15 22:33:22

I used the suggested wordingon the moneysaving expert website and sent it off to BA with various details when our long haul flight was delayed for 8 hours. They paid out pretty quickly and we got €600 euro each.

Dreamgirl1111 Tue 12-May-15 09:40:07

Thanks for your answers. We were provided with a hotel accommodation and food.
I am not quite sure that we will be entitled to any further compensation.

trilbydoll Tue 12-May-15 09:45:39

We were delayed 12 hours flying to Corfu - although we were provided with hotel and food vouchers, we were still entitled to €400 each I think, based on the distance and length of delay. Unfortunately the airline went into administration when we got home! Definitely worth writing the letter, you've got nothing to lose.

Dreamgirl1111 Tue 12-May-15 17:03:15

Thanks!

Heels99 Tue 12-May-15 18:13:42

You can claim in your travel insurance for delayed flight. Don't think you csn claim school fees though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now