Tap water in Majorca

(9 Posts)
cp2004 Sun 03-May-15 18:51:42

We are going to Majorca in a few weeks with our toddler and I am currently pregnant.

I know we should drink bottled water but is the tap water ok to use for washing dishes etc?

Thanks

noramum Sun 03-May-15 22:17:58

We had a villa and were advised that the water was regularly tested and deemed save.

Saying that the caretaker also said that they (they lived around the corner) only drank bottled water but cooked with it and used it for washing up/dishwasher/washing machine.

We went to the villa twice and never had any issues with the water.

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Sun 03-May-15 22:21:16

We went to Majorca last year & were advised that the tap water was perfectly safe but that we may prefer the taste of bottled water for drinking.

Apparently Majorcan water tastes different to British water.

Kewcumber Sun 03-May-15 22:22:59

Certainly OK for washing etc - Spain isn't a third world country! It has quite high chlorine and mineral content so tap water may not agree with you and some villas won;t have a mains supply of water but have it stored in tanks - I personally try to avoid drinking water stored in tanks even in this country, too many critters fall in!

Kewcumber Sun 03-May-15 22:28:09

(And it's Mallorca if you want to impress the locals)

Hassled Sun 03-May-15 22:29:42

Fine for dishes and cooking etc. Probably fine for drinking too - my default is just to buy bottled.

cp2004 Mon 04-May-15 19:41:23

Thank you enough everyone for your replies!

cp2004 Mon 04-May-15 19:42:37

^^ sorry no idea where the enough came from!!

Fluffyears Sat 09-May-15 22:59:26

Fine for washing dishes but I usually boil the water and use that with a bit of cold tap water. Only drink bottled as I'm used to Scottish water and find mallorcan stuff vile. If you can take acidophilus for a month before travelling it fills tummy with good bacteria so if any bad bacteria gets ingested it's killed. Check though that you can take it with being pregnant as it is live bacteria (has to be kept in fridge). I've never been sick abroad because I take it and I have a weak stomach.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now