Talk

Advanced search

Caledonian Sleeper From London To Scotland

(19 Posts)
KraftyShaz Wed 15-Apr-15 20:28:44

I'm posting this message on behalf of my 69yr old parents

They would love to know peoples opinions about making this journey ...

particularly interested in your experiences using the 'bunk beds/cabin' and the 'recliner seat/no cabin' options ????

Dad is the one that would have to use the top bunk as mum has mobility problems ... and hes never slept in a bunk in his life so this will be either 'adventure' or 'torture' !!!

Also they are concerned about luggage handling/storage ... traveling light but arriving at Paddington ...tube to Euston ... then onto sleeper .... how easy is all this ?

Dad would love email contact with anyone willing to discuss this privately ....

Lilymaid Wed 15-Apr-15 20:35:16

DH uses the sleeper fairly frequently on business trips to Aberdeen or Glasgow. He enjoys it but the bunks are narrow and you don't necessarily get a good night's sleep. There's a good bar on board and you get a bit of breakfast served in the morning. There are showers in 1st class lounge at Aberdeen so he gets to his meetings looking and smelling fresh!
There are usually quite a number of retired people using the sleeper so it can't be torture!

Parietal Wed 15-Apr-15 20:44:22

I did the sleeper to aberdeen and back a few years ago. I had the cheapest cabin so could have been made to share but actually had it to myself. It would have been squashed for two.

I've slept on sleeper trains across Europe / Africa / China (when I was younger!) with no trouble, but found this train v uncomfy and didn't sleep much.

For Paddington to Euston, I'd get a taxi if there are 2 people + bags. Much easier than the tube.

KraftyShaz Wed 15-Apr-15 20:52:05

thanks both of you ...

Swannykazoo Wed 15-Apr-15 20:57:57

I love it! I'm in the Highlands and far prefer the sleeper to London than a red eye flight with a bad night of omg will the alarm go off. Standard cabin - you get shortbread and a cup of coffee for brekky. First class is WELL worth it as you get to use the lounge for showers as Lily says and a better breakfast - croissant, yog, fruit and coffee/tea I think. They can also arrive just at the right time to find a good Scottish cooked breakfast in a cafe too

CrunchieFeeling Wed 15-Apr-15 21:10:33

I used to do it regularly - go for the cabins definitely. Even if you don't get a good night's sleep is still privacy and space away from people shuffling about which is restful. I can't remember Paddington tube too much (I'm from south London! ) but the change at Euston is easy enough - its not a spread out station once you exit the tube to the mainline area. There's toilets there and a whsmiths and coffee places etc. The sleeper is very long but they'll make sure you're in the right carriage etc. I always felt I was getting a treat when I had a cabin! The weeks I slept in the chairs were my frugal weeks.

Tips for recliner seats - normally they seat you in a pair of seats per each one seat reservation. You wedge jumper 1 under the immovable window plastic arm rest for a pillow, wedge spare jumper over the hard bit that's between the two seats when you lift the centre arm rest out of the way and then use a coat as a blanket. Wear joggers as it can get quite chilly. Curl up on seat, check feet aren't sticking out into passage too much as people will disturb you trying to get to the loo. Put on eye mask, put in headphones to block out people talking. Try to sleep.

Definitely go for the cabin!! It is quite fun!

TheSpottedZebra Wed 15-Apr-15 21:19:34

Echoing the suggestion to taxi it from Paddington to Euston. Paddington is massively spread out - they could feel like they're walking for miles. The taxi queue is well signposted, but it can be a bit long. Euston is easy, the taxi pulls in at level -1 and there is an escalator to bring you up into the concourse.

For snack buying, there is a sainsburys local in both stations (hhe Euston one is just outside), which would be cheaper than buying from Whs or M&S inside the concourse.

KraftyShaz Wed 15-Apr-15 21:27:15

Thanks again ... this is all very helpful smile

Facelikeafriendlyapple Wed 15-Apr-15 21:32:28

I really like the sleeper train. Definitely get a cabin but I slept ok in the bed. Agree take layers to sleep in and remember you get off the train fairly early in the morning (7am in Edinburgh I think) so they need an early morning plan, breakfast, somewhere to leave luggage etc. hope they have fun!

KraftyShaz Thu 16-Apr-15 13:06:11

so.... those that have slept in top bunk .... how 'safe' did u feel ... could u turn over without fear of tumbling out???

MyHovercraftIsFullOfEels Thu 16-Apr-15 13:12:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MyHovercraftIsFullOfEels Thu 16-Apr-15 13:15:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ADishBestEatenCold Tue 21-Apr-15 23:31:09

This section may well apply to your parents, KraftyShaz, particularly in view of your mum's mobility problems. You'll see the website says ....

"Accessibility is of key importance to us which is why we are working with an accessibility expert to ensure as many guests as possible can enjoy the Caledonian Sleeper. Accessible berths and toilet facilities are available for guests with a disability or mobility impairment including a second bed for a travelling companion. We fully support the Disabled People's Railcard which offers 34% reduction on fares."

The website is www.sleeper.scot/index.php/on-board/disabled-travellers

As far as I am aware, the assistance is available to people who are a bit older/less mobile, as well as those who are registered disabled.

KraftyShaz Tue 28-Apr-15 22:10:56

Thanks AD x

Hassled Tue 28-Apr-15 22:15:55

Thanks for starting this thread - I've wanted to do this trip for years now, and this has made it all seem a bit more doable.

GraceGrape Tue 28-Apr-15 22:21:23

It was very bumpy! I don't think it would be possible to fall from the top bunk, but it certainly didn't make for a relaxing night's sleep....

Duckdeamon Tue 28-Apr-15 22:21:42

Really want to do this someday! Have been on other sleeper trains in just a reclining chair (in USA) and wouldn't recommend!

Paddington to Euston by tube is quite tricky and lots of walking as PPs have said.

KraftyShaz Wed 29-Apr-15 19:49:55

Hope u do it Hassled ... my parents are still unsure ....

KraftyShaz Sun 03-May-15 22:24:35

They have booked it now! So thankyou ALL who helped on this thread x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now