Talk

Advanced search

Travel to Brazil with four year old daughter

(4 Posts)
louiseb1242 Mon 09-Feb-15 16:42:58

Hello everyone

I am travelling to Brazil in the summer with my four year old daughter. Her dad will not be coming. My daughter shares my surname but not her father's surname.

The rules around travel to Brazil with minors are APPALLINGLY badly drafted on the Brazilan Consulate's website and so I can't work out whether we need the authorisation form or not:

cglondres.itamaraty.gov.br/en-us/travel_authorization_for_non-brazilians.xml

Has anyone travelled to Brazil with their child and without the other parent? Did you need to complete the authorisation form with all the relevant notarisations (on my count there are three - notary public, foreign and commonwaelth office and then the Brazil embassy!) Or is this ONLY for when children aren't accopmanied by either parent, and only third parties/legal guardians?

Thank you!

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 09-Feb-15 17:15:56

This is from the Foreign Office Travel advice section on Brazil.

Travelling with children

There are additional requirements for all children under 18 entering or transiting Brazil without their parents or legal guardian, or travelling with one parent only. Contact the Brazilian Consulate in London for further information and advice. 020 7747 4500

louiseb1242 Tue 10-Feb-15 14:01:47

Thanks Attila

FloweryDuchessa Tue 10-Feb-15 14:16:27

Get a signed letter from DD's father saying that she can travel with you. Bring copies of her birth certificate, any official documents, etc.

Sounds bad but it's not. Brazil just had a long period of international kidnapping by parents so they are a bit paranoid. All of this will only come into play when you leave the country or travel internally on flights.

Apart from that it's a great country for kids. Brazilians are big on family and you'll see kids and families out until late! Often until 9-10pm depending on where you are. PM me if you have any questions I grew up in Rio and still have family there.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: