Talk

Advanced search

Need a holiday recondition for a keen sailor!

(16 Posts)
stoopstofolly Mon 09-Feb-15 10:56:56

I'm looking to book a family holiday this summer. DH and DD are keen sailors (lasers and topaz) so it would need to have boats to hire/use and possibly lessons. We also need a kids club for DD (9) and DS (4) as they need things to do. Ideally we'd also like some occasional evening babysitting.
We've done Mark Warner for the last 3 years and it's suited us very well- but it's really expensive and I'd like to look at what else is out there. Any recommendations?

stoopstofolly Mon 09-Feb-15 10:57:23

Damn. "Recommendation"!

PestoSnowissimos Mon 09-Feb-15 11:05:54

Have you considered

Neilsons

janinlondon Mon 09-Feb-15 11:10:02

Second Neilson. Cant be beaten. You'll never go back to the others.....

stoopstofolly Mon 09-Feb-15 11:12:14

Does look good- although no saving on Mark Warner! I think that with our requirements we need to just accept it's going to cost us. Any particular resorts you'd recommend? M

janinlondon Mon 09-Feb-15 11:26:10

They are all fabulous! But it depends what your requirements are. Fabulous views at The Retreat, the most brilliant local town in Lesvos, Adakoy is small and secluded, Anastasia is luxe and has a brilliant restaurant.....if you want to learn to sail yachts (which is feasible as the kids will be in club) they can teach you in Adakoy or at the retreat - or maybe Vounaki, which is new this season. Then next time you can do a flotilla holiday with them - which the kids would adore. Get the brochure and drool. Their kids clubs are the real pull. Cannot recommend more highly. (Not being paid by Neilson btw - more's the pity!!)

janinlondon Mon 09-Feb-15 11:27:09

With a 4 year old you might want to look at transfer times as your no. 1 priority - In which case, Lemnos.

stoopstofolly Mon 09-Feb-15 12:29:42

Thank you! Really helpful.

specialsubject Mon 09-Feb-15 14:05:06

it IS going to cost.

check wind conditions - Neilson are moving away from just sailing so you need to choose carefully, nothing more frustrating that a beach full of boats and no wind. Sivota is sold as a good waterski resort which means no wind. Vounaki and Adakoy are low-wind. Read the Tripadvisor reviews on the Andriake resort which was new last year before booking.

can't comment on the ones I liked because they have all shut - but there are others that do have wind.

specialsubject Mon 09-Feb-15 14:05:36

ps the Anastasia is one of the closed ones.

Heels99 Mon 09-Feb-15 14:08:43

We love neilsons although we aren't particulalrly sailors.

nannyafrica Mon 09-Feb-15 21:21:46

something a bit different!
www.danforthyachting.com/

youarekiddingme Mon 09-Feb-15 21:27:11

Have you looked sun sail? They are part of the first choice or thompsons or whatever group it now is!

youarekiddingme Mon 09-Feb-15 21:28:16

www.sunsail.co.uk/?gclid=CNeJ14Ln1cMCFaTnwgodJzQAyQ Much quicker and easier for you if I just link it!

youarekiddingme Mon 09-Feb-15 21:30:07

Although I worked in club Vounaki 1999 season that's mean mentioned uothreaf as Nielsons now. But I think Nielsons is Thompsons who bought out first choice. First choice bought sun sail when I worked for them grin <confusing!>

specialsubject Tue 10-Feb-15 10:22:44

Sunsail don't do the beach clubs anymore - Vounaki was the last one, closed end 2014 and now to be run by Neilson.

Neilson were part of Thomas Cook but have been sold off and are independent again.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: