Talk

Advanced search

Solo spa break recommendations please!

(11 Posts)
EthelCardew Fri 06-Feb-15 17:42:06

My lovely husband has suggested I take a 1 or 2 night spa break to chill out for a bit and, being a spa virgin, I don't really know what the best option is for maximum relaxation. I mainly want to read, have a lie-in shock, wander the gardens, gym, swim, steam, body treatment and massage.

So, fancy hotel with spa attached? Champneys or other dedicated spa? Cheaper hotel and day visit to a nearby spa? I have no experience and no clue what would work best.

I'm in Gloucestershire and don't really want to travel too far, it will just stress me out on the way back! Although taking the train might be a less stressful option. I'm considering Bath/Cotswolds/Oxford/Wiltshire/Somerset areas and have had a look at Dormy House Hotel, Macdonalds Bath Spa, Bannatyne Charlton House, Cotswold House but I'm being bloody indecisive.

What I certainly don't want is a noisy hen party venue or ultra modern decor as I really don't find that relaxing.

Any recommendations for plans and places? Is Champneys worth the 2 hour drive?

OP’s posts: |
VegasIsBest Sat 07-Feb-15 07:15:49

I think champneys would be a very easy place to be on your own rather than a hotel. But that depends on how confident you feel on your own.

Andcake Sat 07-Feb-15 07:35:47

I would prefer a proper spa to hotel on my own. Maybe a bit far but I had a lovely few days alone at the wonderful ragdale hall. What was nice is that if I wanted a bit of company or to do something in the evening other than read I had options. Eg they have little talks or films on a bigger screen than a telly and at any meal if you want you can join a table of other ladies on their own. Maybe sounds a bit naff but for lunch it was nice to have a chatgrin

EthelCardew Sat 07-Feb-15 08:18:49

Being on my own is what it's all about VegasIsBest! But I see what you mean.

I think it's going to have to be a hotel for reading/swim/shopping and a spa for full-on relaxation and treatments. Either way, I'm going to make this a yearly/twice yearly thing so I'll get to try out all arrangements eventually!

I just discovered Whatley Manor - it looks absolutely heavenly!

OP’s posts: |
Superlovely Wed 04-Mar-15 19:03:27

Bath spa is great and you can shop too. The spa is quite big so it feels more anonymous and would be fine on your own.
Whately is also good but much smaller and there isn't anything really to do in the area apart from the arboretum. The restaurant is amazing but pricey and the bistro a bit odd but the food is good. Not sure you would want to go on your own.
Calcot is also in Gloucestershire and is really nice. Tetbury is nice for shopping.
Have a lovely relaxing time.

Ebb Sun 15-Mar-15 21:35:15

Calcot is lovely as has already been mentioned. Cowley is lovely too. Calcot's not too far to head into Bath or Westonbirt Arboretum. Cowley is fairly close to Cheltenham.

Sofarris Tue 17-Mar-15 15:44:29

I've only ever been to Champneys day spa in Milton Keynes and it was lovely. The perfect getaway for me. In fact I think I'm overdue another little treat smile

I hope you have a lovely time Ethel.

Sof x

Bonnie007 Sun 10-Mar-19 17:02:35

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Hollowvictory Tue 12-Mar-19 12:40:33

I don't like champneys . For you I would go to Longleat center parcs or whatley Manor or calcot Manor. Center parcs the best of those 3. I have been to them all.

MillicentBond Tue 02-Apr-19 08:57:25

Have you looked at the Lower Mill Estate near Cirencester, I can recommend, it is more than just a Spa with 500 acres of nature reserve and cycle hire etc they do have everything from large houses to small apartments, we had a lovely stay there recently, the rental agency is www.habitatescapes.com

okkkorniienko Mon 13-May-19 01:56:48

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in