Talk

Advanced search

Things to do in Athens

(12 Posts)
mytartanscarf Thu 05-Feb-15 17:29:52

Spam me with some ideas! Going in April and looking forward to it very much!

SachaF Fri 06-Feb-15 16:39:17

Not Athens but within a couple of hours:

Mycenae:
In the second millennium BC, Mycenae was one of the major centres of Greek civilization, a military stronghold which dominated much of southern Greece. The period of Greek history from about 1600 BC to about 1100 BC is called Mycenaean in reference to Mycenae.

Palaia epidavros:
Monestry, fortifications and open theatre from 4th Century BC

Delphi:
Major ancient site.

Not been yet, going this year, these are the places someone originally from the Peloponese has recommended to us smile I had been looking at Athens but we have decided for several reasons to go to the northern part of the Peloponese.

Have a great time and do post back with your favourite place(s) after you have been! I am already enjoying reading Greek myths and legends to the kids at bedtime smile

lastnightiwenttomanderley Sun 08-Feb-15 17:05:44

Loads of things!
Visit the new acropolis museum and also the acropolis itself.
Walk from the acropolis round to the forum to the north.
You can get the hydrofoil over the bay to Aegina which is a lovely little island, you can hire bicycles and head down the west coast to have lunch in one of the fishing villages.
Walk up lycabettus hill for great views.
Catch the early morning runners at the old stadium opposite the temple of Zeus.
Wander the streets of Plaza at sunset but then go to Keramikos/Gazi (north west, walking distance) for dinner and maybe a cocktail.
Great restaurant in Kolonaki called Oikeon (prounounced similarly to Ikea and means 'home' for some great food.
There's a microbrewery somewhere in the centre too but I can never remember where smile

mytartanscarf Sun 08-Feb-15 17:20:20

Wow thanks! Can't wait now! grin

lastnightiwenttomanderley Mon 09-Feb-15 21:04:10

Where are you staying? In the centre?

mytartanscarf Tue 10-Feb-15 10:13:17

Yes, the centre smile

showtunesgirl Tue 10-Feb-15 10:20:08

Go to the Acropolis but go early to beat the crowds. I loved it!

youngestisapyscho Tue 10-Feb-15 10:25:29

I was only there the one day to visit The Acropolis, it is amazing!

lastnightiwenttomanderley Tue 10-Feb-15 18:24:32

You'll have an amazing time, I used to be out there fortnightly for work (if you look out to sea from the acropolis, you'll see the new cultural centre being built) smile

LouiseBrooks Tue 10-Feb-15 20:25:20

OP It depends how long you're there for. There is enough in Athens to keep you going for a couple of weeks. If you have time, as mentioned above Mycenae and Epidauros are gorgeous, but I would suggest staying in Nafplio and then visiting the other two. Nafplio is the more gorgeous town (first capital after independence). It really depends on how much time you have.

Sacha make sure you visit Nafplio when you go to the Peloponnese, it really is the prettiest town in mainland Greece.

HermioneWeasley Tue 10-Feb-15 20:27:51

The subway is brilliant

Acropolis
Walk around plaka
Shopping
Parliament sq

mytartanscarf Tue 10-Feb-15 21:09:27

Thank you flowers am there for 4 days!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: