Talk

Advanced search

Great things to do in New York with a young teen and any reviews of Matilda the musical?

(10 Posts)
PancyFants Sat 24-Jan-15 21:56:25

I have booked up 8 days in New York during the summer with my DD. We are both really excited!

I'm looking for tips on things to do while there especially in the evening but other things we might not have thought of too.
So far we are thinking of going to see a show (any reviews on Matilda?) and a baseball game. As well as all the usual touristy things, we were also thinking a day to Coney Island.

We want to eat in bubba gumps (dd loves forest Gump) and in the diner with The singing waitresses (Ellen's?)

Also debating Woodbury commons a day for shopping (tho not sure if this would be a waste of a day?)

Anything else we should be looking at or fab places/things we might not have thought of?

PancyFants Sat 24-Jan-15 23:05:01

Oh I've now noticed that finding neverland is on in the theatre while we are there too! Hmm decisions! grin

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 25-Jan-15 09:37:32

I would reconsider the baseball game particularly if you do not have any prior knowledge of how it is played. It can go on for hours and can be slow in terms of overall pace at times.

I would consider a tour around Radio City Music Hall.

Coney Island is worth a visit and if you like hotdogs, you must go to Nathans. Take a towel for the beach.

Heels99 Sun 25-Jan-15 15:54:01

Do basketball game instead of baseball.

If you want tickets for finding never land book now. Matilda you can see in UK so I think you are right doing things that are nyc specific, we are going in spring with our dcs.

Bubba Gumps I have seen in airports before in USA and it hasn't looked that inspiring so would be interest to know if the food is good. Also if anyone has been to Alices cup or serendipity?

MillyMollyMama Mon 26-Jan-15 00:54:54

Matilda is brilliant in London and almost certainly cheaper!

In NY, go to Ellis Island use the Staten Island Ferry for a trip past the Statue of Libery. Go to MoMa and the High Line. Definitely do Radio City Music Hall and go over the Brooklyn Bridge. Stroll around Central Park in daylight. Go up the Top of the Rock and go inside Central Station and look at the roof. Shop in SoHo and go to Greenwich Village. I have been to a baseball game - seriously boring and the audience just eat, drink and talk. No-one takes much notice of the game! Coney Island is a bit seedy but some people like that sort of thing!

Shopping at discount malls in the USA can be very hit or miss. We have never found them any use at all and generally if you buy US brands, they are cheaper anyway and the sales might be on when u go, so this is a lot more fun.

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 26-Jan-15 09:12:30

Bubba Gumps does nice food and they do some good seafood dishes. (The only airport restaurant of theirs I know of is at Cancun).

PancyFants Fri 30-Jan-15 22:27:06

Thanks all for some more great suggestions. I'll look into them all!

I've been to a baseball game before and enjoyed it but didn't stay for the full thing. We have a local basketball team so feel like that's something we could watch anytime.

Still undecided on a show, not near London at all so I think Matilda is still a contender.

Thanks all smile

popflos Sun 01-Feb-15 09:15:29

and empire state (having watched sleepless in seattle first)
Toys R us in times square is quite special,
natural history museum then in to the park for the john lennon memorial
china town/little italy/broadway/ground zero. take your walking shoes!
there are also tours that take you around all the sites where famous TV series happen (friends, spiderman etc) which may sound a bit naff but we have found with teens a private tour is a really easy way of knocking the city on the head and then you can just people watch and wander and enjoy the rest of the time.

mirpuppet Sun 01-Feb-15 11:37:16

Don't go to woodbury commons.

My 12 and 14 niece's who live in NYC love the 21 in Times Square. I'm sure the clothing is the same that you can find here. But just going there makes them very happy.

popflos Thu 05-Feb-15 18:11:36

keep this thread allive, im looking at Newyear, maybe concert tickets? 1D!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: