Talk

Advanced search

Special Assistance for Those with Poor Mobility - Air Travel

(5 Posts)
ohmymimi Fri 23-Jan-15 11:31:40

I'm travelling with my 80 year old cousin from Heathrow to Bergen in Feb. for a Hurtigruten Cruise. Since booking her mobility has deteriorated (arthritis), so she intends to arrange for special assistance at the airports. I've read some horror stories about Heathrow, so would be grateful for experiences/advice, helpful mners.

AlpacaMyBags Fri 23-Jan-15 11:54:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

oenophilia Fri 23-Jan-15 12:38:40

BA were fabulous with assistance last year at Heathrow when DD3 had a broken foot. We booked the help online in advance and that sorted the other end (Athens) too, with a wheelchair and porter waiting for us. You also get to queue jump passport control on your return!

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 23-Jan-15 14:03:23

www.heathrowairport.com/heathrow-airport-guide/special-assistance/request-special-assistance should be read. I have highlighted the following section:-

Before you leave home

Under European legislation, your airline is responsible when you are on board the aircraft. Heathrow is responsible for providing special assistance at the airport. Therefore, please pre-book all assistance through your airline, tour operator or travel agent (their website's will contain details of how to do this). Heathrow Airport cannot pre-book special assistance.
Please inform your airline, tour operator or travel agent of your particular need at the time of booking or at least 48 hours before your travel. Try and give as much notice as possible so we can make the necessary arrangements. If you forget, we will still make every effort to help you in a timely manner.

Your assistance requirement will then be passed to our service provider, Omniserv.

You should also inform your airline, tour operator or travel agent if you intend to take your own mobility device (such as a wheelchair or scooter).

ohmymimi Fri 23-Jan-15 17:22:22

Thanks. Flying with BA, so glad so glad to hear of such a positive experience.smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: