Talk

Advanced search

Off to Brugge!

(9 Posts)
PoppySausage Wed 21-Jan-15 21:23:06

We are off in October half term, taking dd (4) and would love any hotel recommendations (or warnings!), things we should see while there and what we absolutely cannot miss!

Bunbaker Thu 22-Jan-15 22:16:18

I loved Brugge. The centre is compact and very walkable. TBH I don't think a four year old is going to find it all that interesting and her little legs will get tired from all the walking. One of the most interesting places to see was the brewery. The view from the top of the belfry tower is not to be missed. There are churches and museums a plenty. Chocolate shops of course. And just wandering around to appreciate the lovely buildings.
Then there is a boat ride on the canal.

gallicgirl Thu 22-Jan-15 22:21:33

Bruges is lovely but I really wouldn't take a 4 year old.
We recently stayed at the Villa des Raisins where the hosts made great recommendations and even booked tables for us.
Wijnbar Est and bar Parrazar were good.

PoppySausage Fri 23-Jan-15 00:46:36

Thanks both! Very excited and will think carefully about dd. Why don't you think it's suitable?

catsofa Fri 23-Jan-15 01:04:34

Oooh it's lovely, I went with my mum in November and the chilly fog was just so atmospheric! Cobbled streets, swans on the canal, lovely twinkly lights...

There are some great little shops including toy shops. You can buy absolutely any object you can even think of made out of chocolate, and will enjoy the huge displays in the chocolate shop windows. Take a boat ride, and a ride in a horse-drawn trap.

They still have a branch of C&A, it didn't close down over there, if that's exciting?

Bunbaker Fri 23-Jan-15 06:53:45

I don't think it is unsuitable for a four year old, but I doubt that she would be as interested in the architecture and history as an adult. Also there is a lot of walking.

I have always taken DD to interesting and historical places, but it would have been one castle or one historical building in a day not several.

Lalalalandlord Fri 23-Jan-15 07:03:09

Hi, we spent a week in and around Bruges last Easter. Will you have a car? If so combine it with a day trip to Efteling, maybe start of holiday and the end too if you're there for a week and your DD will be in paradise! About 1hr 30 drive from Bruges is most amazing theme park paradise for a four year old and adults love it too and I hate theme parks normally.
She will like the canals and climbing to the top of the belfry tower. Horse and carriage ride. It's close to the sea, if it's not too cold have a trip to the beach (can go on train if no car). We also combined with Passendale museum at Ypres which my 4 year old loved (likes soldiers) and was very thought provoking for my 7 year old. V hard to answer the questions of my 4 year old (why did the soldiers die) and we felt slightly weird being "touristy" at a WWI site but didn't feel at all like that after we'd been, were very pleased we'd taken our children as age appropriate

Lalalalandlord Fri 23-Jan-15 07:04:04

And it's perfectly suitable, just if it's a week in the city not totally focused towards your Dd. It's a small city really.

loopsngeorge Sat 24-Jan-15 23:24:51

We took DS when he was 3 and he loved it. Chocolate, chips, canal boat rides etc. Also there is a string of windmills on the perimeter of the old town set on a high bank which I remember him liking. And a really nice park with a lake by the Beguijnhof. As long as you're not trying to push a buggy over those cobbles I think you'll be fine.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: