Advanced search

Alvor, Algarve

(7 Posts)
FoodieMum3 Sun 18-Jan-15 13:55:40

Anyone been? Looks stunning, quiet - which appeals to me.

Considering it for the Summer. Self catering. DC are under 8 and baby would be 10 months or so. Any recommendations?

I'm just a little concerned about the distance from Faro airport. Some reviews are saying 1.5 hours, other 2 hours.

Any feedback appreciated smile

Janek Sun 18-Jan-15 16:28:51

I went in 1998! It probably was that far from the airport, also the flight took four hours, which really surprised me. We stayed in the Alvor Plaza, the room had a fridge and two cooking rings. you could see the sea from the hotel and there was a nice little town.

I had a great (quiet!) time, but i didn't have dcs in those days.

cococandyfloss Sun 18-Jan-15 20:55:21

We have stayed out Lagos/Salema/Burgau way in Western Algarve but have also looked at going to Tavira or Alvor in the East-would be interested to hear what others have thought.

Onykahonie Sun 18-Jan-15 22:19:26

We went last Easter and had a great holiday. I'm sure the transfer by taxi was only an hour or so. I would happily go back, although I'm not sure how busy it would be in high season.

Ruthiebabes Sun 18-Jan-15 23:52:54

We loved it, less than hour in hire car. So worth it. Great restaurants and fab beaches. Look at Alvor Forum on tripadvisor. We stayed in a private apt at Alto

PeaStalks Mon 19-Jan-15 15:52:30

We went twice when DC were 7 /9 ish. It's absolutely beautiful. Not spoiled by all inclusive hotels so the town is busy in the evening. Cobbled streets with lots of character, a harbour with fish restaurants and the second best beach I have ever seen. Miles and miles of wide empty sand.
We always get a taxi transfer from the airport as it gets any holiday off to a flying start.
Just one slight warning. It's the Atlantic coast so the sea can be rough and is also chilly, as was the hotel pool in August.

FoodieMum3 Mon 19-Jan-15 20:31:54

Thank you all. I think I'm already in love with it grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now