Talk

Advanced search

Lake District in March w/ baby + 4 year old

(14 Posts)
mudpiesfortea Fri 16-Jan-15 16:02:51

We were originally planning a week holiday in the Lake District during Easter. Now it looks like we'll have to go in early March.

DH convinced March is a horrible time to go because of weather. He used to go every year as a kid but I've never been so can't say either way.

A friend, who's been a few times since her DS (4) has been born, says there isn't much to do with little ones in the event of bad weather. Our boys have a similar temperament so I trust her opinion on this point.

Any Lake regulars got any thoughts?

TribbleTrickswithTinsel Fri 16-Jan-15 16:17:57

Well which part are you off to?

mudpiesfortea Fri 16-Jan-15 18:24:14

Not sure. DH suggested staying in/near Derentwater

Pancakeflipper Fri 16-Jan-15 18:31:29

That's a pretty big lake. I guess you will be staying somewhere more populated like Keswick rather than being more remote? What do you like doing, are you walkers? If so the old railway track along there is a great walk with a fantastic wooden bridge. And that walk can handle a buggy.

Or what about staying near Windermere that probably has more things to do like the aquarium, steam train rides, zoo, boats like the Tern and the Swan etc (check stuff is open in March).

March can be an ok month, the last few have had great weather.

Indoors wise there's stuff around the Lakes to do - google first and get ideas. And obviously there is the fantastic Pencil Museum......

lk26 Fri 16-Jan-15 18:38:42

I live in the Lakes with a 2 yr old and there is lots to do.
Keswick is a great base as you can get anywhere from there. It has a pool called Keswick spa. Shallow areas and a water slide. Great park next to it with a fab cafe.
There is an animal park at bassenthwaite which is great.
Penrith has Rheged centre just off a66 which is underground and has cinema shops soft play etc.
Spring can be beautiful weather.
The saying here goes no such thing as bad weather just bad clothing !
Bring waterproofs and pray for sun ��

mudpiesfortea Fri 16-Jan-15 18:44:41

Thanks. Looking for pretty high end self catering that will accommodate 4 adults + the kids.

We're driving up from SE and my dad, who is joining us, is hell bent on also adding a couple days in Edinburgh. Is this reasonable bearing in mind we've got approx 9 days and 2 of those will be spent travelling (there and back)?

mudpiesfortea Fri 16-Jan-15 18:47:03

We like walks and DS is pretty good but I'm not keen on trekking in the rain. It's one thing if it starts raining when we're out but I'm not volunteering IYSWIM. Also, my parents are coming and they are from a warm sunny climate (rain is a novelty for them) and I don't expect them to be particularly hardy! grin

lk26 Fri 16-Jan-15 18:48:39

To drive to Edinburgh usually about 2 .5 hrs as it's a slower road.
You can do a lot in the lakes in 5 days if you plan out where you want to go. I take visiting relatives on a 1 day whistle stop tour !

mudpiesfortea Fri 16-Jan-15 18:53:38

I had no idea Edinburgh was so close. If we were going to add that on do you think we should do it at the beginning or end?

I'm thinking 2 full days Edinburgh and 4.5/5 days Lakes

Brandnewiggi Fri 16-Jan-15 18:54:53

Google maps says it's about 3 hours ten minutes from Keswick to Edinburgh (I'm planning on the trip in reverse) and I usually find it underestimates!

lk26 Fri 16-Jan-15 20:02:27

I would do Edinburgh first then come down to the lakes personally.
Where are you wanting to stay inEdinburgh ?
I can recommend a fab B & B with family rooms if that helps.

mudpiesfortea Fri 16-Jan-15 20:18:29

Yes, please. Any accommodation recommendations greatly appreciated

lk26 Fri 16-Jan-15 20:21:50

It's called 23 Mayfield. Edinburgh.
My OH stayed there before Xmas and said was fantastic. Has a family room for 5 which they stayed in and other various rooms.
Look at the website it's gorgeous place.

KatieKaye Fri 16-Jan-15 20:28:47

Definitely more like 3 hours from Edinburgh to Keswick!

the Ravenglass railway is great fun and there is a nice café and play area

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: