Advanced search

any suggestions for a family of 4 looking for somewhere to stay in new york?

(14 Posts)
nipersvest Mon 12-Jan-15 23:52:39

we have to plan a trip to the east coast of america for an event at yale university, so as for 3 of us its our first time over there are thinking of flying to boston, driving down to new haven then heading into new york for a few days then fly home.

am looking for suggestions on place to stay when in new york, there's 4 of us, dc's are 13 and 9, family room most likely to be a good idea.

queenofthepirates Mon 12-Jan-15 23:57:05

we rented a Brooklyn apartment from That worked really well for us

jedishelly1 Mon 12-Jan-15 23:58:38

We stayed here. Self catering, reasonably priced, spotlessly clean. Amazing location just around the corner from Times Square.

jugglingmonkey Tue 13-Jan-15 08:26:14

The Pod Hotel was fantastic. They have nice bunk rooms and decent doubles too. Very handy base, excellent value, walking distance to most of the Manhattan stuff.

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 13-Jan-15 08:57:27

Radio City Apartments are worth looking at but do stay away from sites that advertise NYC apartment listings. Practically all short term lets in NYC are illegal and many too are scams. These sites also do not check the veracity of listings in any way.

nipersvest Tue 13-Jan-15 10:09:44

thanks for those, i read about the pod hotel last night on trip advisor, also another called yotel. we'd have to get 2 rooms at the pod, will have to talk to the kids, i'm thinking they might feel better if we're all in together in a family room.

i reckon we'll only be in new york for 3 nights at the most, rest of the visit is going to be more of a road trip. we also want to check out some of the eateries featured on that tv programme, man vs food!

Missanneshirley Tue 27-Jan-15 21:07:14

hotel beacon! can't recommend it highly enough. around 71st I think, very close to a subway station, 5 mins from the park and natural history museum. I stayed with dh and 2 dcs they upgraded us to a bigger room arrangement and it was fabulous, huge room space, I know some downtown hotels can have tiny rooms. you get a really well stocked kitchenette and it joins on to an amazing diner for cheap and filling brekkie. It is opposite an amazing giant fairways supermarket (Google fairways upper West side) it is amazing watching upper West siders do their shopping! There is also a Duane reed a few doors down for normal groceries and toiletries etc

honestly I could rave about it for days grin

the only downside is that if you want to go right downtown eg for staten island ferry it is quite a long subway trip but there are express trains or else it's easy just to break the journey up.

I want to go back now!

Missanneshirley Tue 27-Jan-15 21:09:05

Look up hotel beacon on trip advisor! it was just fantastic, sigh!

breward Tue 27-Jan-15 21:49:07

we stayed in NYMA which is in central Manhatten near the Empire State Building. great family rooms and a good breakfast each were not hungry again until late afternoons! A real bonus when sight seeing!

homebythesea Wed 28-Jan-15 15:51:05

Spendy but chic

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 28-Jan-15 16:18:48

Do stay away from sites that advertise NYC apartment listings. Practically all short term lets in NYC are illegal and many too are scams. These sites also do not check the veracity of listings in any way.

KitKat1985 Thu 29-Jan-15 10:25:49

When we went to New York about 4 years ago we stayed here:
It worked for us as it's very central in Manhattan and only a couple of minutes walk from Grand Central station which is a big bonus if you are planning on doing lots of exploring. It's a fairly simple, basic hotel (but not shabby) but that's reflected in the price which is quite a bit cheaper than a lot of central Manhattan hotels.

MillyMollyMama Thu 29-Jan-15 15:40:18

We allowed ours to have a separate rooms at that age! The Soho Grand has fab rates at the moment. Citadenes apartments are very popular with our US friends. Are you driving to NY or taking the train? We did Boston to NY and this took us to Penn Street station. Took 4 hours but way less hassle than driving and dropping a car off.

Madcatgirl Thu 29-Jan-15 15:41:17

The conrad down in battery park city is where we always stay. Very good sized family rooms and a nice family location.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now