Talk

Advanced search

Canary Islands - best locations with children?

(12 Posts)
Girlwithnotattoos Mon 12-Jan-15 10:57:21

After shelling out thousands and having poor weather in Majorca last May half term we've decided to head for the carnies this year. I 'm not terribly keen, I find the landscape too bleak, but we need warm weather so it should satisfy that. I don't want to go to Tenerife, no real reason just I have never liked the look of it, and not overly keen on Gran Canaria with its man made beaches and cliff top hotels.

So I'm looking for a resorts either in Fuertaventura or Lanzarote it must have a real sandy beach, safe bathing, a few shops and restaurants and be suitable for families, we have 2dc (10&3). We want all inclusive and a nice hotel, 4*+ preferably with large family room maybe a sea view. I would consider a lower * rating if it met all other requirements and came with good reviews. We have a budget of up to £4k but would obviously prefer to spend lesssmile

Any suggestions...

Girlwithnotattoos Mon 12-Jan-15 10:57:44

Canaries, obviously grin

Ruthiebabes Mon 12-Jan-15 11:09:09

We went to Lanzarote last May half term and had cloudy days 7 out of 10 and so windy!!! Stayed in Old town Puerto Del Carmen, it is a big resort. Playa Blanca would probably suit u best, check out hotels on Tripadvisor reviews.
Despite the poor weather we are returning this May half term!!

Girlwithnotattoos Mon 12-Jan-15 11:12:28

Oh no, I was thinking that there would be more chance of sun at the end of May. We can't really go much further away as we are only going for a week.

youngestisapyscho Mon 12-Jan-15 11:28:14

Don't know what you have against Tenerife? Los Cristianos is lovely, ideal with kids. Nice beaches, loads of restaurants and a lovely walk along the coast line right up to Playa Americas and Adeje. In fact Adeje is very nice to stay at. We went to Tenerife last year beginning of April for 11 nights... It was very hot and we had just one day of cloud and rain... the year before we went to Fuerta Ventura at the end of March/April and again, it was very hot.

SunnyBaudelaire Mon 12-Jan-15 11:29:39

Los Cristianos would be amazing for kids

TheFairyCaravan Mon 12-Jan-15 11:40:36

My brother used to go here a lot when his DD was younger.

We went to Playa Blanca a few years ago, but didn't like it partciularly tbh. We were having the holiday from hell in our hotel though, so maybe that coloured our view.

We love Cape Verde, it's only a 6 hour flight. Boa Vista waters are too rough to guarentee safe bathing all the time, however we've been looking at Sal and you can go snorkelling off there, so we presume the sea is calmer.

Waitingfordolly Mon 12-Jan-15 11:40:51

We went to Lanzarote Princess in Playa Blanca last Easter. Some days were overcast and some hot. It wasn't very windy. It has beaches and shops and restaurants and the hotel has stuff for kids though we didn't use it - we would definitely go back, DD said it was her best holiday ever!

specialsubject Mon 12-Jan-15 11:47:18

nowhere is guaranteed on good weather apart from an inland desert.

there's a beautiful beach called Playa Del Duque with safe swimming. But it is on Tenerife and has grey/black sand, as do most of the natural beaches there. I can't see a a problem.

Fluffy40 Mon 12-Jan-15 11:58:46

Don't forget La Palma, it's very quiet, we had a lovely holiday last year, but if you want lots of bars and shops it's not for you.

TheFairyCaravan Mon 12-Jan-15 12:05:12

YY if you want bars and shops, Cape Verde isn't for you either, tbh.

Wellieswithaholein Mon 12-Jan-15 14:25:07

We prefered Tenerife to Lanzarote it is great.
We stayed at Parque Santiago because it had a small waterpark, but it was self catering (pain).
Always had good weather too, been at different times of year several times.
Siam waterpark is the best one we have been to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now