Advanced search

Holidaying in the UK with kids. Best places?

(14 Posts)
Utkatasana Thu 08-Jan-15 13:35:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EhricLovesTheBhrothers Thu 08-Jan-15 13:45:27

Hope this is ok to link, this is my family's apartment, North Devon is beautiful, lots of great beaches, water sports and there are very interesting places within driving distance

iseenodust Thu 08-Jan-15 13:59:49

Northumberland has it all and is never packed out. Get a cottage near Bamburgh for beautiful beaches, walks, seal trips, Lindisfarne, Alnwick Castle (Harry Potter) & garden, and plenty of fresh seafood, locally made ice-cream & gastro-pubs. For a whole day out Cragside or take a train to Edinburgh.

NormHonal Thu 08-Jan-15 14:04:03

You could combine something like Center Parcs (multiple locations) or Bluestone (only in Pembrokeshire, Wales) with a few days elsewhere.

Bluestone is an excellent base for exploring Pembrokeshire, including beaches, castles, etc etc.

Other ideas....Southwold and Aldeburgh in Suffolk, Croyde and Salcombe in Devon. Cornwall. Dorset. The Isle of Wight. The Lake District. Scotland. The New Forest. And I've missed huge swathes of the country!

Northumberlandlass Thu 08-Jan-15 14:06:22

Hi Ukta - Northumberland smile

There was a thread the other day about you go! Northumberland

Utkatasana Thu 08-Jan-15 18:36:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TwistAndShout Thu 08-Jan-15 18:38:26

St Ives in Cornwall - fabulous beaches, breathtaking scenery, amazing favourite place!

Lovage Fri 09-Jan-15 09:50:07

Loads of bits of the UK are lovely - most of the coastal bits (even Essex!), almost all the hilly/mountainous bits, anywhere with a national park. The trouble is the weather - it is just so unpredictable even in the summer. So I would definitely go for somewhere with plenty of indoor attractions that your kids are likely to enjoy, whether that's just a local funpool or a city nearby.

We have been to Pembrokeshire every year for the last 8 (family there) and while it is gorgeous, we have only had one year when we could go to the beach most days. Every other year it rained more days than not and many years it has rained almost every day. The east of England is drier, so I'd second the Suffolk suggestion, or Norfolk is great as long as you don't mind flat - Norwich is lovely and so is Cromer (on the coast) and bumbling around the Broads in a boat might be fun.

Gautami Fri 09-Jan-15 10:05:17

I genuinely think you could throw a dart at a map of the UK and have a great holiday wherever it lands.

We tend to have at least one UK holiday a year in the UK so have been all over. Went to Scotland last year - a week near Glasgow, then a week in Nairn. It was beautiful. Lots of everything you're looking for and the kids had a brilliant time. We're off to Cornwall this year.

Lovage is right about the weather though. You need to be prepared for every eventuality, every day. But once you've got your head round that it's fine and a beach in bad weather is as much fun as in good weather if you're dressed for it.

try this (set the custom area to UK)

MirandaWest Fri 09-Jan-15 10:06:24

Northumberland is great. DC and I going there this year for our 4th time smile

fluffapuss Tue 03-Feb-15 23:48:19

Blackpool plenty to do for all ages if weather is good or bad

Beautiful Cornwall, Wales, Lake District, Scotland

Isle of Arran, Jersey, Isle of Man. Isle of Wight

rosy71 Fri 06-Feb-15 22:32:41

Pembrokeshire. Lots to do even if the weather's bad.

Rivercam Fri 06-Feb-15 22:35:48

Cornwall came to mind - beaches, Eden project, lovely towns and villages - it fits your requirements perfectly

AliMonkey Fri 06-Feb-15 22:41:36

Agree with Gautami, so many places. In last 10 years ie with DC we have enjoyed Suffolk, Kent Coast , Mid Kent, New Forest, Isle of Wight, Dorset, Wiltshire, Devon, Cornwall, Llyn Peninsular, Pembrokeshire, Chester area, Lake District, Northumberland, York, Nottinghamshire, Shropshire, Cotswolds and probably loads more. Would (and have) happily go back to all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now