Talk

Advanced search

So, the teens want to go to Sweden...

(13 Posts)
goshdarnit Thu 08-Jan-15 13:09:52

Whilst chatting about summer holiday plans, I presented them with a map of Europe, and the 13 and 16 year old straight away, almost in unison, said 'Sweden!'
One major issue is dh is terrified of flying, so going by train looks like the option we'd take. I've looked at man in seat 61 and its do-able, going via Brussels and Copenhagen, so we can turn it into an adventure, staying in different capitals for a night or two.
So; where else in Sweden could we fit in to our two week, mid-August Scandinavian adventure?
I think we'd probably be staying in youth hostels and using trains/public transport.
Thanks in advance! grin

holeinmyheart Thu 08-Jan-15 20:11:47

I have been to Uppsala and Stockholm. Both wonderful and interesting places to visit. Uppsala is steeped in History and has wonderful scenery and walks. I went to the Viking museum in Uppsala and the Royal Palace in Stockholm.
The Swedes bike a lot and you can hire bikes. There is the River in Uppsala and lots of Viking History to explore and the famous Scientists house. Who's name escapes me. He catalogued plants. He was at Uppsala Uni and you can go and see his house in Uppsala and his country house.
The people are wonderful. You can get guides within the large towns through the Tourist information. Everyone speaks impeccable English.
I would take some anti- mosquito stuff if you are travelling in the Summer.
You will have a fabulous time as it is a fantastic country.
Horrendously expensive though.

Waswondering Thu 08-Jan-15 20:16:55

Is it drive able? Just wondered if it could be a road trip holiday, via Copenhagen and the like ...

CaptainJamesTKirk Thu 08-Jan-15 20:17:46

I have no idea. But can I just say what a great idea! I've never heard of man in seat 61 before... As someone who also hates flying I will have a look in the future.

CaptainJamesTKirk Thu 08-Jan-15 20:18:46

The plant guy by the way is Lineas (sp.).

CuttedUpPear Thu 08-Jan-15 20:24:17

You will love it (and so will they).
Worth a look is the Aeroseum next to Gothenburg airport - it's a massive underground bunker full of vintage planes, helicopters and land vehicles. All maintained by an army of retired old chaps.

Casual stops off at cafes can be very expensive (£30 for coffee and cakes for 4) so be prepared to make your own snacks from supermarket fare.

geebie Thu 08-Jan-15 21:53:45

Uppsala! Beautiful Gamla Uppsala, lovely lake, fab town for shopping, sightseeing and fika, and plenty of hostels.

goshdarnit Fri 09-Jan-15 12:24:44

Thank you! I've been googling Uppsala, and it's only an hours train journey from Stockholm, and looking at Viking history is something that will appeal to dh (and the rest of the family! )
I am getting quite excited about it all now!
I've seen a hostel in Stockholm that is in a disused jail, perfect for my reprobates to stay the night in...
wink

geebie Fri 09-Jan-15 18:52:01

Uppsala has a few hostels and there is one called City Stay which is brilliantly located right in the heart of the city. Not sure what it's like but it looks good.

stinkingbishop Fri 09-Jan-15 19:02:20

Oo thread hijack! Taking DS (20) for a week in summer. Airbnbing in Stockholm. He's mad about Scandi history, for some obscure reason! For those who've been to Uppsala, do you think we're fine just getting the train there and back the same day or do you think it merits staying overnight? Just conscious that would take a night out of the holiday and we're already doing that to go up to Faviken (resto up near Lapland, my part of the holiday!)

And can anyone recommend a specific archipelago boat tour? Or should we just go to one specific island?

Pippidoeswhatshewants Fri 09-Jan-15 19:10:33

i was just going to recommend the ferry from Harwich to Esbjerg, but it doesn't exist any more! sad

We went for a 2 week summer holiday a couple of years ago, and it was fab. Very, very expensive, though.

geebie Fri 09-Jan-15 19:12:16

If you want to make the most of looking round Uppsala (cathedral, walking up to the castle, botanical gardens, fab cafés, shopping, walk along the river etc) AND Gamla Uppsala, it would be worth staying overnight, otherwise it'll be a bit of a whistlestop tour. Gamla can be a quick ish trip if you just want to see the burial mounds and visitor centre, but it's worth staying longer to take a walk around the area, beautiful meadows and woodland, get lunch, perhaps go to the adjacent farm with its authentic relocated historical farm buildings, see the old church etc.

I would say that taking a morning train from Stockholm to arrive in Uppsala for mid morning, then taking a late afternoon train out again the following day would give you time to do all of the above.

chemenger Fri 09-Jan-15 19:41:58

We went to Stockholm last summer and loved it. Do not miss the Vasa museum, it's a 17th century ship they excavated from Stockholm harbour, the best museum I have ever been to, and I usually hate maritime museums. Take ferries and buses out on the archipelago rather than a cruise, cheaper and more fun. Public transport is very reliable and easy to use. Teen dd's loved Tivoli World theme park, right in Stockholm. Great food, especially cake! Expensive though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now