Talk

Advanced search

Whats the best way to drive to Brittany?

(13 Posts)
Up2nogood Wed 07-Jan-15 22:17:01

Hoping to get a holiday in the Summer, thinking Brittany is a good option. Seen some ideal accommodation that won't break the bank and can have the car without the expense of hiring.

DC will be 3.5 and 1.5yo. We will be travelling from the North West.

Never been to France before, apart from Disneyland as a child as a very large group. So no experience of doing the drive, crossing the channel etc.

How do i get there? I can see from looking so far that i can either get there by Ferry or Drive the Tunnel. Ferry costs look to be about £300 and the Tunnel £135. (but i've not account for any extras for either option as being a novice I've not idea what they'll be!!!).

Google tells me the pro for Ferry is speed. The pro for Tunnel is cost.

What else do i need to think about?

I guess we would attempt to do as much of the journey as possible at night while the kids sleep, especially if driving. But obviously don't want to be too knocked wince we are there.

Totally lost in where to start really so any help / advice appreciated! grin

3catsandcounting Wed 07-Jan-15 23:10:37

Bumping this, as we're thinking of the same trip, from the NW too!wink

EdithWeston Wed 07-Jan-15 23:17:12

It depends on where you're going in Brittany. It's a long drive from Paris and the N12 can get spectacular traffic jams if you're unlucky.

If your destination is near a ferry port, then that's what I'd choose. You get to rest on your crossing, whichever means, but after one long drive down from the north of England, having less on arrival was worth it to me.

Diamondring Wed 07-Jan-15 23:18:36

If you can afford it, ferry. It starts off the holiday instead of being a slog.

Delphine31 Wed 07-Jan-15 23:24:29

I now always try to use the ferry route that will land us closest to our destination. France is big (always catches me out) and a well-planned ferry can take hours (and £ of petrol) off the travel time/cost.

After a long drive from NW to South Coast UK, a forced rest on a ferry will be a good thing.

Depending on where you're going, try looking at DFDS / LD Lines to le havre. I got a return inc. Outside cabin for £250 a couple of years ago.

CocktailQueen Wed 07-Jan-15 23:26:32

Agree with ferry if you are driving from the nw. But you need to book soon for the summer hols - the longer ferry routes get v quickly booked up. Where in Brittany are you going?

mupperoon Wed 07-Jan-15 23:27:12

We took an overnight ferry from Portsmouth to Caen a couple of years ago - really good to drive off the boat in the early morning having had a good kip in a cabin and know you have a whole day in France!

We managed to get to Castelnaudary in the south well before dinner time, including finding a hotel, so I would do it again like a shot.

On the way home we took the tunnel.

meandjulio Wed 07-Jan-15 23:29:25

I would pay and go for the ferry, if you can get the money together. We drove from the Midlands to the west of Brittany last year using the tunnel - not too bad on the way there with an overnight stop in the UK, but really awful on the way back, SUCH a long slog, we felt very low when we came out of the tunnel and still had ages to go! And stop over on both legs.

FauxFox Thu 08-Jan-15 11:25:41

Not sure if you've already booked accommodation but if you book a https://www.holidayfrancedirect.co.uk property you get 20% off Brittany Ferries crossings if that helps?

jenpetronus Fri 09-Jan-15 07:42:34

Also, factor in the tolls from Calais as well as fuel costs - it adds about 30€ each way. We live in Brittany & having done every possible option over the years I would only ever use the overnight ferry to St Malo now. With the nicest cabin available. And wine. smile

higherhill Fri 09-Jan-15 13:22:54

We are in the north west too, and have done Portsmouth overnight to St Malone with a cabin then drove down to Quiberon. on the way back did Caen overnight to Portsmouth again with a cabin. we have 2 kids and they loved the cabin for sleeping in, it's definitely worth it.

higherhill Fri 09-Jan-15 13:23:18

St Malo

Mrscog Fri 09-Jan-15 13:39:02

Definitely ferry - it won't cost that much more once you account for fuel and toll savings, as well as keeping you more refreshed. Go for Roscoff or St Malo for crossing, depending on where you are staying.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now