Talk

Advanced search

Efteling in Holland Anyone been and is it really good, or parc Asterix better..

(86 Posts)
ElfontheShelfIsWATCHINGYOUTOO Tue 06-Jan-15 21:48:34

ANYONE Been to either? many thanks

Bogeyface Tue 06-Jan-15 21:59:03

I completely ♥ Parc Asterix!!

We took the kids to Efteling years ago and loved it!

However it is also the place where we lost DS1 for 30 mins. (Our fault entirely, my friend and me had 7 kids between us and failed to notice he ahd wandered off!)

WORST 30 mins of my life...

ChattyAndCatty Tue 06-Jan-15 22:34:09

I went to Efteling as a child and I am desperate to go back!!!
If I win the lottery this would be one of the first things I would treat my family to! :D

hennybeans Tue 06-Jan-15 22:42:13

We've been to Efteling a few years ago with young children. Was excellent. Everyone really enjoyed it and wouldn't hesitate to visit again. Food was dreadful though.

mrscumberbatch Tue 06-Jan-15 22:43:32

I want to go to efteling this year

thedevilinside Wed 07-Jan-15 00:02:50

Parc Asterix has the most amazing ghost train, preferred it to Disney tbh

puds11isNAUGHTYnotNAICE Wed 07-Jan-15 00:11:05

Been to Efteling tree of four times now and I love it!

Lalalalandlord Wed 07-Jan-15 00:19:32

How old are your kids? My 7 and 4 year old absolutely loved Eftling last year but I would say 10/11+ might be getting a bit old to get the most out of the fairy tale fantasy stuff although I actually loved it as an adult! Watching with interest as don't know anything about parc Asterix

DisgraceToTheYChromosome Wed 07-Jan-15 00:27:24

Efteling was brilliant 10 years ago, even better than 40 years ago.

Bogeyface Wed 07-Jan-15 00:47:49

Parc Asterix is like Alton Towers for the French. They far prefer it to DLP (according to the french people I met in Paris anyway!), and it is geared more towards a continental audience than DLP, which is definitely a bit of America that happens to be in France.

I dont know many people who have been to Parc Asterix compared to loads who have been to DLP but of those who have been to both, they all to a woman preferred PA.

ElfontheShelfIsWATCHINGYOUTOO Wed 07-Jan-15 10:19:38

would be 2.5 and 7.8

Those that go to Eftling how do you get there? what else do you see, combine it with? where do you stay?

ElfontheShelfIsWATCHINGYOUTOO Wed 07-Jan-15 10:23:16

puds11isNAUGHTYnotNAICE Wed 07-Jan-15 00:11:05

Have you been to DLP or Lego land...how did it compare and whats so special about it? It looks v pretty and nicely done from what I can see but what is so great about it?

Lalalalandlord Wed 07-Jan-15 14:08:33

OP we drove, took the Eurostar (used clubcard vouchers so didn't have to pay) and stayed one night in Antwerp on the way. Think it was about 2 - 2.5 hrs to Antwerp from Calais. Then Efetling the next day staying 2 nights in Park accommodation, we stayed in the apartments. That allows you entry to the park on 3 days so can go on day of arrival and day of departure. 3 days was just right. On the way back we stayed 3 nights in a B and B just outside Bruges and as well as Bruges (beautiful, kids loved boat trip on the canals) visited First World War sites around Ypres (recommend the passenchdale museum) and the Belgian coast.
We also looked at getting the overnight ferry to Amsterdam and combining with a European center parcs stay or Duinrell.

Lalalalandlord Wed 07-Jan-15 14:15:50

Haven't been to DLP but trip advisor has comparisons between DLP and Efteling. Efteling is apparently over a bigger site than DLP and a lot more character interaction. A lot is in Dutch with the characters but this wasn't a problem at all for my 7 yr old and 3 yr old it was still totally magical to them. All the big rides have English commentary. In comparison to legoland it is much more magical with the fairyland / fantasy theme and more to see in between the rides, the fairy tale forest is amazing to just spend a few hours wandering around taking in all the detail and discovering the houses in the woods with the kids' favourite fairytale characters. The talking tree is amazingly realistic (attached a pic!) . We went in Easter hols (not over Easter weekend itself) and it's worth checking out Dutch and Belgian holidays as the week we went Dutch were at school and although quite a few Belgian kids we never waited more than 15 mins for a ride.

doradoo Wed 07-Jan-15 14:41:39

Watching with interest as we're planning on Efterling for a day trip this summer (we live just into Germany so do-able) DC will be 10.9/8.3/5.6 so think we should be OK.

Sid77 Wed 07-Jan-15 14:45:07

Loved Efteling as a child - I especially remember a magic carpet ride called 'farta morgana' and that they used to have coloured doves flying around. Not sure how they turned the poor doves red and blue and yellow - they probably don't do that anymore!! Ah, the 80s!

ElfontheShelfIsWATCHINGYOUTOO Wed 07-Jan-15 14:53:13

Sounds lovely, love the tree....I was thinking of two days to Brugs at some point and have tesco vouchers for ferry/tunnel to dieppe...so perhaps could combine with over night stay at this place,

I am assuming its cheaper than DLP?

OldBeanbagz Wed 07-Jan-15 14:59:59

Watching with interest as DH has suggested a Efteling trip in the summer. DLP was suggested but the kids weren't interested.

Both DD and DS loved Legoland, Denmark last year but weren't impressed with Windsor the previous year.

DS is desperate to be tall enough to go on all the rides at Alton Towers.

Vunderbaard Wed 07-Jan-15 15:44:41

It was ok when I went in May, not as good as the UK parks IMHO. Beware you have to pay 15EUR for the car park!

MuddhaOfSuburbia Wed 07-Jan-15 19:02:21

ooh I think it's loads better than the uk parks

it's closest to Alton Towers, but much better imo. And charming. And also bonkers

yes, the coloured doves are still there. As are the marching geese (!)

if your budget will run to it and you want to stay two nights or more, stay in the Bosrijk (think centerparcs-y self catering, but in a fairy-taley way)- for one night stops the hotel is good. Both include admish.

To save ££s stay in a dutch centerparcs nearby, or in a Landals (cheaper than cp, less facilities, but nicer accom to my mind)

I don't know if it's cheaper than DLP.

It is very much a Dutch institution- I'm sure I read on wikipedia or some such that something like 80% of Dutch people had been there. You see big extended families bringing nanna and grandad, cooing over the tulips and the fairy tale wood- and there's hairy rides for the teens and everything in between

I bloody love it, i do. And I am REALLY not a theme park person normally I hold everyone's coats play on my phone and grumble a bit

Twunk Wed 07-Jan-15 19:06:25

I live in holland so it's practically compulsory!

In September we went for a whole week but that was a charity holiday for DS1.

I love it. Compared to UK parks it's so clean! And I love "the flying Dutchman" - a sort of ghost train and rollercoaster combined.

Never been to parc asterix but always been intrigued.

MuddhaOfSuburbia Wed 07-Jan-15 19:18:12

the Flying Dutchman is the best ride I've ever been on

so much thought has obviously gone into it- all the detail is amazing and it's thrilling as hell even the fifteenth time

<runs off to book hol>

Lalalalandlord Wed 07-Jan-15 19:52:54

Oh yes bosrijk was where we stayed - couldn't remember the name - we loved it. The self catering apartments are cheaper than the villas and was lovely and plenty big enough for two adults two kids and a baby.

ElfontheShelfIsWATCHINGYOUTOO Wed 07-Jan-15 20:30:14

I am VV excited and amazed its only 35 euros, I assume you do not have to pay for rides when in there?

People are moaning about cost on trip advisor, lego land is 48 quid!!!

I am thinking ferry to dieppe, stay in bruges a night then eflting two nights, bruges one again and back home.

probably looking at may 2016 half term though and try not to coincide with dutch holidays.

Seen some OK places near by to stay, one was vv cheap looked v basic....some others looked little better....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now