Talk

Advanced search

Tell me what to do in/around Salzburg!

(4 Posts)
IHeartKingThistle Tue 06-Jan-15 21:35:14

DH is taking me to Salzburg this year (always wanted to go, bit of a Sound of Music fan and a Mozart geek!). We have a long weekend - so excited!

Can anyone recommend lovely things to do in the area please? I'm really keen to do things by train but if we have to hire a car that wouldn't be the end of the world. We are NOT skiers though!

TIA

Kundry Tue 06-Jan-15 22:02:58

How lovely!

In a long weekend you probably won't have time to do much outside Salzburg.

In Salzburg you should go to the castle, Mozart's Geburtshaus (good to see but doesn't take long), Mirabell gardens (make sure you see the dwarves). If it's spring/summer it's a lovely walk to the castle along the Moenchsburg. It's lovely wandering around the Altstadt and you can see most of the Sound of Music locations by walking.

Hellbrunn palace with the trick fountains is a must see.

Don't bother with Mozart's Wohnhaus as it's really dull.

You should definitely eat cake at either Cafe Sacher, Cafe Bazaar or Tomaselli (or all three).

Nice places to eat are the Peterskeller, Sternbrau (for the full Austrian experience) and Zum Fidelen Affen - the restaurant opposite is also good if they are full.

DH recommends Stiegl beer grin I'd recommend the Marionettentheater especially if you like Mozart - we have the DVD of the Magic Flute and it's ace.

If you have time there is also the cable car, Sound of Music bus tour and day trip to Berchtesgaden. I'm not sure you will have time - of the three I'd recommend Berchtesgaden and the Eagle's Nest as the views (and bus trip) are simply breathtaking.

That should keep you going for a bit grin

IHeartKingThistle Tue 06-Jan-15 22:13:37

Thank you so much! flowers Going to google all of those!

We're going at the end of March so a bit confused as to what's open etc.!

ShanghaiDiva Wed 07-Jan-15 11:15:49

Mondsee is lovely and I think the church there is the one from the sound of music. There is a modern art gallery which is situated overlooking Salzburg and has a cafe with a lovely view over the city. Can't remember the name though, sorry!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now