Talk

Advanced search

long car journey with baby

(5 Posts)
Misty9 Tue 06-Jan-15 15:08:22

We're doing the trek to see my folks next week and slightly dreading it after the nightmare 8 hour journey last time shock

Dd is 8 months and certainly let's you know if she's not happy! Ds, 3.4, is easy in comparison but he starts screaming when his sister won't stop crying. Stopping makes no difference, she just starts again when we set off. It's hell on earth in our car!

Any magic tips? Please!

hulahoopsilove Tue 06-Jan-15 15:13:58

We used to set off at 7pm and both kids were fed and watered and slept throughout the whole journey, there was hardly any traffic, we would take it it in turns to drive as well so DH would kip whilst I drove then we would swop round...as soon as we got to the destination would lift kids out of car straight into bed...worked perfectly everytime

hulahoopsilove Tue 06-Jan-15 15:14:19

Our journey was around 6-7 hours btw

Misty9 Tue 06-Jan-15 19:03:41

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately we tried that once with ds when he was a baby - he slept his standard 45 minutes nap, was awake most the journey and then wouldn't go to sleep at the other end for hours...! He's always been a rubbish sleeper away from home though.

I am tempted to try the late drive once though we're renting a place so can't turn up at midnight. Might try it on return journey... which last time took 10 hours and in 30 degree heat! The journey should take around 5 hours with stops shock

hulahoopsilove Sat 10-Jan-15 09:40:19

baby's pattern change as they get older so something he didnt do before he may do now. Maybe try and keep awake all day as well.

Why not book into a travel lodge/premier inn half way - they have these located all around the motorways. We did this once when going to Cornwall broke the journey up then in the morning after a hearty breakfast our 2nd leg of the journey wasnt too bad and we were half way there already

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now