Talk

Advanced search

I am really turned off by the idea of travelling

(15 Posts)
EmmaC17 Tue 06-Jan-15 12:13:36

I don't know if anyone else feels the same way?

I am really reluctant to travel and don't know how to change this. Starting to feel like I might be the only one!

mummymeister Tue 06-Jan-15 13:23:10

what is it that you don't like? the choosing? the planning?

Celticlass2 Tue 06-Jan-15 14:04:14

Emma. I'm exactly the opposite, so I'm intrigued. What is it that you dont like?

JeanSeberg Tue 06-Jan-15 14:09:00

Does it prevent you from travelling? Or are you reluctant to go but then have a brilliant time once you get there? When was the last time you went on holiday and where?

kelda Tue 06-Jan-15 14:10:47

Why dou want to change? Do you HAVE to travel?

marne2 Tue 06-Jan-15 14:20:49

I like travelling, dh doesn't so we tend not to do it ( or not as a family ).

EmmaC17 Tue 06-Jan-15 14:26:14

I am not too sure... I think it is mainly the faff that has to be gone through before hand. Going to need a holiday after a holiday!

GotToBeInItToWinIt Tue 06-Jan-15 14:46:34

Do you have to travel? If you don't want to then don't!

MelanieCheeks Tue 06-Jan-15 14:47:33

If it's the faff then go for a group/ organised version.

JassyRadlett Tue 06-Jan-15 14:51:49

Why do you want to change?

But if it's the idea of 'faff' it might be helpful to break it down to what really bothers you. Is it deciding where to go? Where to stay? Booking (which is dead easy compared to what it used to be? Packing?

ShatnersBassoon Tue 06-Jan-15 14:53:29

It's only the planning I don't like. That's a pain. But once it's all booked, it's nothing but happy anticipation.

Give it a go if you think you might enjoy it. It gets easier with experience.

Celticlass2 Tue 06-Jan-15 15:16:50

I love all of it,- planning included. I even like airports and flying wink
OP, I think booking/planning holidays has never been easier!

I know people in their seventies who book holidays online and plan everything themselves.
I think even 10 years ago that would probably have been unusual, and many people used travel agents. There are so many options now.

marne2 Tue 06-Jan-15 15:58:00

I love planning. Since we had the dd's I havn't been abroad ( dh has never been abroad ), we have UK holidays though and the planning and travelling is the best bit, I don't think it would feel like a holiday without the long journey and the planning ( and the stress ). What I do hate is the unpacking.

ToffeeLatteplease Sun 11-Jan-15 09:33:15

I get this when I'm struggling with WHY I am going on holiday and understanding that the why alters with everything else that is going on in your life. I find I get tired of travelling when there is a mismatch between what I have planned an what I need

Do you go on holiday to relax, to see somewhere different, to top up on seeing the sun to spend uninterrupted time with dc/dp etc? All those have different travel requirements, some mean you don't need to travel at all.

Increasingly I'm finding I'd rather go away for a shorter time (less to pack) and I prefer half terms because it's easier to sort before and after than when the kids are around in the summer holidays.

I also have a bucket list of things I want to see, one for the uk one for abroad. I aim to see one of those things a year, which makes travelling feel purposeful

nonsense0name Mon 12-Jan-15 15:10:23

Me too! EmmaC17 you are not the only one ... I also feel as if I am the only one - everyone in my office is already talking about "everywhere" they are going this year.

I get totally confused about where to go, I can never decide, I don't like the packing/organising/booking, I don't like crowds, I don't like driving or flying. I can afford to travel but can't justify the cost.

My DH is very chilled and says don't worry, so I try not to but the DC's want to go on a proper holiday - whatever that means.

You don't HAVE to travel. Find joy on your doorstep, most people IMO don't take advantage of what they have around the corner. Staying home can still be a holiday if you eat out, change your routine and do day trips. I am planning a couple of nights away here and there but the journey will be less than a couple of hours - could you try that if you are struggling to "change" - little steps.

HTH you are not alone smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now