Talk

Advanced search

reserving train seats

(9 Posts)
triplets Tue 06-Jan-15 08:25:18

Hi we bought three tickets to Harrogate from Kent y/day and was told we were unable to reserve seats as I didn`t show on the system that we could! This was at our local ticket office. My husband has Parkinsons and no way could he stand any length of time, have tried phoning enquiries and left a message. Any advice please?

Theas18 Tue 06-Jan-15 08:27:15

Use the disable seats and gently but persuasively kick able bodied people out of them!

triplets Tue 06-Jan-15 08:43:03

good idea! smile

triplets Tue 06-Jan-15 15:36:14

Checked at a diff station this morning, she checked for us and booked seats no problem!smile

Theas18 Tue 06-Jan-15 19:33:12

Excellent. Now don't forget the polite assertiveness if some idiot tries to sit in them!

MillyMollyMama Tue 06-Jan-15 22:10:12

You might be better off booking online next time as reserving seats is part of the ticketing process. Also, according to Martin Lewis on the radio yesterday, it is usually cheaper to book tickets in two halves - ie Kent to London, London to Yorkshire. This is usually cheaper than a 'through' ticket. A friend regularly goes to Devon from Bucks. It saved her £50 by doing Bucks to London, then a London to Exeter. Her local station just booked her one ticket at a vastly inflated price because it took no account of travelling at the cheapest times.

LadySybilLikesSloeGin Tue 06-Jan-15 22:15:46

You can't reserve seats on certain trains. Have you tried calling customer services?

Also, reserving seats doesn't guarantee you the disabled seats. You may be allocated a table but you may find some twit has sat themselves opposite you, filled the table and their seats with their crap. When you ask them to move them so that you can sit down you are then given the hmm face and expected to put up with their crap on the table and under it so you have no space I'm 'slightly' annoyed at our experience

Your DH could do with a disabled travellers card so that you can both get a discount on first class travel.

triplets Tue 06-Jan-15 22:35:11

That's all very useful info everyone, will take note for next time. My dh isn`t disabled by the condition, can get up from a seat no trouble etc, its just he gets dizzy and his balance isn`t so good now, he is also in remission from bowel cancer , lots to deal with! The reason we are going is to take one of our boys up to Harrogate as he has passed selection to join the Army College, so its an open day before he joins on March 15th. Feel very proud of him, but am so going to miss him. x

LadySybilLikesSloeGin Tue 06-Jan-15 22:44:01

I have a teenager with hypermobility syndrome who can't stand (or walk very far) and has poor balance. He's disabled as it causes issues and he needs supervising to make sure he doesn't fall etc. I'd say your other half is disabled if he gets dizzy and has poor balance as this places him at a disadvantage.

I hope you both have a lovely time smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now