Talk

Advanced search

Single parent with teens, no flying

(11 Posts)
AmITwirly Sun 04-Jan-15 20:38:19

Can anybody recommend a good place for me and my teenagers next summer? Looking for 4-7 days relaxation at the end of August, just before they head back to school. No flying, so UK or possibly France /Spain / Isle of Wight if good ferry links.

We cannot share a hotel room now, without wanting to kill each other! So need two rooms in a hotel; or a cottage/lodge with 2 or more bedrooms. I'd like access to an indoor heated swimming pool and a few local things to see and do. The DCs need wifi access (groan!) but would also like table tennis / air hockey etc. Happy to spend up to £2k for a week if quite luxurious or £1k for a more basic few days.

I've seen Bluestones, which looks promising. Does anyone have any other recommendations? Thank you.

3catsandcounting Mon 05-Jan-15 11:47:46

Bumping this for you as I have the same needs! (apart from DH in tow!)

We're thinking of going to France (ferry) and spending a few days in Normandy (museums/WW1 stuff) then onto Paris for a few days.
(all I want is a lovely villa with a pool somewhere warm, but teens get bored, but then they don't mix with others so an AI hotel-type holiday is no good either!) Tricky times with teens!

cosytoaster Mon 05-Jan-15 20:19:51

Another bump, your teens sound like mine 3cats!

BertieBotts Mon 05-Jan-15 20:23:08

Lake District? Whereabouts are you now?

AmITwirly Mon 05-Jan-15 21:03:14

I'm South West, but happy to travel anywhere really.

Mary786 Tue 06-Jan-15 13:44:49

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

AmITwirly Tue 06-Jan-15 19:14:31

Well, we have flown a lot in the past, but this year cannot for medical reasons.

No recommendations of good UK hotels / resorts, suitable for teenagers as well as adults??

Jenijena Tue 06-Jan-15 19:39:53

If you're in the south west, you should be able to get to the western ferry ports easily. What about a keycamp/eurocamp holiday in one of their caravans? Plenty within 2-3 hours drive of western ports.

LIZS Tue 06-Jan-15 19:51:04

Belle Dune in Pas de Calais - self catering accommodation but onsite restaurant and a short stroll/ drive/ bike ride to beaches and restaurants. Indoor/outdoor pool with slides and waves , golf and sports activities onsite, various WW2 sites and other places to visit nearby.

AmITwirly Wed 07-Jan-15 19:43:59

Thank you for the suggestions. I'll check them out.

ToffeeLatteplease Sun 11-Jan-15 09:19:09

Oakdene in Dorset might fit the bill. It has an activity programme which is rather good fun

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now