Talk

Advanced search

flights advice

(4 Posts)
daimbardiva Sat 03-Jan-15 00:28:13

I am a total novice at booking a family holiday and could do with some expert advice! We are planning a villa holiday with friends in July, probably in Portugal. Owners direct looks good for the villa but where do I start for flights? Skyscanner? Thanks.

mummymeister Sat 03-Jan-15 14:06:32

yes skyscanner and ebookers are both good but keep disabling your cookies each time you search as they imbed and you will not see the lowest price. someone else on MN advised me to do this, I thought they were kidding, until I cleaned out the cookies and got a flight several hundred pounds cheaper. Owners direct are good we have booked places through them a number of times.

Drquin Sat 03-Jan-15 14:15:08

Or find the website for your nearest airport in Portugal (or uk departure aiport) and look at their timetables / departures & arrivals pages. You'll see which airline flies there. Go direct to their web page.

I'm sure you'll have sussed this - but factor in all the hidden costs (e.g. Airline fare may not include baggage, invariably it's more expensive to pay for that at check-in, and for comparison purposes). Also factor cost to travel to & from both airports, taxi or car parking etc. Of course, cheapest isn't always best - you may prefer the ease of using one airport even if it doesn't work out completely cheapest.

Some charter airlines will also sell seats on their flights - they don't always come up on the Skyscanner searches, but if you know they fly you can go direct to their own page.

daimbardiva Sun 04-Jan-15 09:46:40

Thank you, some useful tips there. I'd never have though of the cookies thing!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now