Talk

Advanced search

Ski trip

(7 Posts)
luluskiptotheloo Fri 02-Jan-15 15:52:33

My dd is going skiing for the first time and doesn't want to wear a hired ski helmet. I have never been skiing so not sure if it's a good idea to buy her a thin beanie hat to wear under the helmet.
The other alternative is to buy her a helmet which we then have to fit in her suitcase.

TIA

LIZS Fri 02-Jan-15 16:01:30

She will get hot wearing a hat underneath and may find it hard to hear although ok if very cold. Why doesn't she want to wear it? A decent helmet will cost upwards of £30, could she take it hand luggage or use a holdall and pad it around with skiwear.

luluskiptotheloo Fri 02-Jan-15 16:16:46

Thanks LIZS, I didn't think of the hearing aspect!

UniS Fri 02-Jan-15 16:26:08

A buff ( or similar thin stretchy snood) will fit under a helmet better than a beanie. Can keep hair under control at same time and keep ears warm. Is she being a bit bleugh about the idea of wearing a helmet others have worn?
Lidl/ aldi lids are pretty good when they have them .Does she have her own goggles? Not all goggles are compatible with all helmets. Lidl adult goggles and lids work together.

luluskiptotheloo Fri 02-Jan-15 18:33:04

That's right, she just doesn't want to wear a helmet lots of other people have worn.
A buff maybe the way to go. Yes she does have her own goggles.

We went to a Decathlon store recently and they had very cheap junior ski helmets but I wonder how good they are.

LIZS Fri 02-Jan-15 18:39:55

Decathlon helmets are fine .

GlaceCherries Fri 02-Jan-15 18:43:36

How old is she and will she be having lessons? French ski schools won't take kids without a helmet fyi.

You can get thin, silk balaclavas to go under helmets, if that would make it any better. Take her goggles and try them fitted onto any helmet you're contemplating buying to make sure they fit.

How does she feel about rental ski boots...?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now