Talk

Advanced search

Holiday ideas - young family

(11 Posts)
Prometheus Sat 27-Dec-14 18:47:20

Hello, I am trying to find a suitable 7 day holiday during half term in May. DH and I plus DS age 4 and DS age 2. Both very boisterous, DH and I more relaxed.

I have looked at First Choice Holiday Villas but scared off by price and worried that they will be full of 'Brits abroad' type. Love going to France but don't want to fly Ryanair nor want to waste 3 days of the holiday driving. Ideally looking for a flight of no longer than 2-3 hours.

In the past we have hired villas in France but we used to live a lot closer to France (now in Northern UK) so drive is a lot longer. I guess I'm looking for something like Holiday Villas but on a smaller scale and quieter. We definitely don't want all inclusive or full board.

Can anyone suggest any nice places please? I have spent hours online but just going round in circles! Thank you grin

BackforGood Sun 28-Dec-14 00:20:00

At that age, it's FAR more relaxing to do a beach holiday in the UK, IMVHO.

Prometheus Sun 28-Dec-14 07:53:44

And that's what we did two years ago actually (I totally forgot). A week in a caravan in Dorset cost us a grand!

addictedtosugar Sun 28-Dec-14 09:14:42

Bumping really, 'cause I'm looking for ideas. Prepared to fly Ryanair, but want to go from the NE, to France (DS1 wants to try some French delicacies....).

We had an amazing Eurocamp holiday in Italy this summer, so something similar would be great, but can't get the suitable sites and flights to match up. So I guess were looking for self catering, with a pool, and maybe some other entertainment.

Beach/pool holiday somewhere with decent weather for us - Northumbrian beaches when it is cold and or windy, and you don't have 1001 wet weather activities are not conducive to a peaceful week!

Tempted by Jet2 holidays. Anyone been on one?

IAmAPaleontologist Sun 28-Dec-14 09:41:06

We are NE England. dcs were 7,5 and 2 our last holiday in August. We pick an approximate area then find somewhere that looks ok on owners direct, can often get places with toys and child related clobber. We've had some lovely holidays. August was northern France, around an hour from Calais so a long day of driving but perfectly doable without a stopover. We've also had a lovely time in the peak district, not beach but by a river with a purpose built swimming area. feel free to pm if you want details of the houses as both were very good and reasonable.

Hersetta427 Sun 28-Dec-14 22:51:30

I think you are,referring to the FC holiday villages. We have had 76 holidays with them in various locations and have rarely encountered the Brits abroad mentality, but if you want a smaller version look at climbed or mark warner.

Advantage of the holiday villages is that all the kids club staff etc are English and have English qualifications so the standard in different locations is identical. Our kids love them so we put up with it not being our first choice....but pre children our first choice was the Maldives so we are never going to be overjoyed!!!

Heels99 Mon 29-Dec-14 12:46:01

76 holidays with first choice villages???????

Notname Mon 29-Dec-14 12:50:21

Duinrell holiday park in Holland, sailing from Hull to Rotterdam (easier than flying with young kids). Brilliant, loads to keep kids occupied, lovely area. We stayed in the premium duingalows which were lovely, booked direct with the site rather than thro eurocamp etc. We went last aug and would love to go back next year. There's other threads about the site on mumsnet if you want to find out more.

Hersetta427 Mon 29-Dec-14 14:20:30

That should be 7 holidays!!

and clubmed (not climbed).

glammanana Mon 29-Dec-14 14:38:14

Going back to when my 3 where young we always took them camping,although the weather is a major factor we found we where lucky mostly regarding wet weather though and DCs enjoyed a week away under a tent,good walks and play during the day made for tired little ones come 8ish every evening and then some grown up time after that,not so bad and for a week the cost is very good you can also take their favourite meals and snacks with you.
There will obviously be an outlay for equipment but we borrowed most for the first couple of times and gradually bought our own at the end of each season as people where selling stuff cheaply and we gradually moved up to more top of the range tent/kitchen/separate beds rooms/posh cooker etc,we did this until the DCs where about 11/12 and they went all over the Country and even on to the Continent when they where teenagers,worth looking into as you can once you have the equipment go at the drop of a hat during school holidays.Another holiday we took often was to Wales to Log Cabins where we went ski-ing with them to all weather ski-run cost about £250 (not sure what cost would be now) for cabin & self catering plus Ski-ing lessons on top they had a ball and enjoyed that often.

breward Mon 29-Dec-14 21:22:10

Our best holiday by a mile when our children were that young was to 'Torridge House Cottages' in Devon. It is a farm with cottages aound a pool. The children help look after the animals during the week. They can have a pet assigned to them for the week, collect eggs, help feed the pigs, lambs etc.

The farm has a big play room, toy/DVD library, extensive grounds for BBQs and spontaneous family games of cricket.

Our children just wanted a 'friend and a pool' at that age and they got that plus animals and lovely beaches and days out nearby (Diggerland, Eden Project, the Big Sheep etc)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now