Talk

Advanced search

Travelling to London...advice please

(18 Posts)
littlequestion Sat 27-Dec-14 18:42:07

We're an hour from London but don't go much together. Going as a family next week.

I'm not sure about the best way to buy underground tickets. I have an ancient Oyster card which has a few pounds on it. Do kids get free tube still? Would DH be better off buying an Oyster card or just paying for a return fare? It's all zone 1. Thanks!

tethersend Sat 27-Dec-14 18:45:19

Have you got a contactless debit or credit card? If so, use that and don't bother with an oyster.

You can use it on tubes, trains and buses in exactly the same way as an oyster.

LIZS Sat 27-Dec-14 18:46:03

We normally buy family day travel cards - kids are £1 - but we live just beyond the zones.

littlequestion Sat 27-Dec-14 18:46:24

Thanks but I don't...

littlequestion Sat 27-Dec-14 18:47:01

That was to tethersend by the way!

ChippyMinton Sat 27-Dec-14 18:48:15

How old are the DC? Tube is free for u-12's, I believe, buses free for u-16's.

tribpot Sat 27-Dec-14 18:48:58

Kids are free. You should be able to charge up your Oyster card at a ticket machine. Your DH may be better off than an Oyster card too, depending on how many trips you're planning to make in the day?

dingit Sat 27-Dec-14 18:49:42

Be careful with the capping. For some reason, mine didn't cap my fare when I got on the bus, it was off peak (Saturday). Next time I will use my Oyster card, not my debit card.

anotherbloodycyclist Sat 27-Dec-14 18:49:45

Kids under ten still travel free on the tube as long as they are with a fee paying adult. Your husband could use a contactless card on the tube of bus, it's charged at the same rate as an Oyster so there is no point in him buying one.

tethersend Sat 27-Dec-14 18:51:00

Yy, if you've no contactless card, use an oyster. Much better value than a paper ticket.

Buses no longer take cash.

Cornonthecob Sat 27-Dec-14 18:51:23

Children travel free.

Cash fares without oyster or using contactless cards are more expensive. If you are planning to get on and off tubes and buses more than a return journey get a one day zone 1 travel card. Hope that helps.

littlequestion Sat 27-Dec-14 19:02:50

Thanks - dc are 7 and 9 and we just need to do a return zone 1 (tube) journey. Are Oyster cards free? I got mine so long ago I can't remember...

InfinitySeven Sat 27-Dec-14 19:05:52

Technically free, but require a £10 deposit, I think.

Cornonthecob Sun 28-Dec-14 09:52:05

An Oyster card costs £3.

Cash single fair is £4.70 with oyster its £2.80/£2.20 (peak/non peak) so still cheaper to buy an Oyster card. Non peak for return journey you would save £2 fwiw if you just do a return journey and have an Oyster card to keep.

However I would check your bank cards anyway for the contactless symbol.

Hth's

Cornonthecob Sun 28-Dec-14 09:53:52

This is the symbol I have it on one of my 2 debit cards.

specialsubject Sun 28-Dec-14 10:25:54

whether it is oyster or contactless, check it. I got overcharged by about 40% on mine - I noticed because I'm an infrequent visitor. They refunded to my bank account, or if you return regularly you can get a refund at a station. I tapped in and out correctly,the system just charged a huge fare.

OK, it was only about £3 but that's not the point!

specialsubject Sun 28-Dec-14 10:26:07

ps this is why I prefer a travelcard!

littlequestion Sun 28-Dec-14 18:54:04

Thanks all. Just asked at the station (baffling array of different fares online but that's another issue). It was only a couple of £ extra (£2?) in total to include the tube so we did that.

Honestly, how does anyone without a degree in train studies manage to work out the best value ticket?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now