Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Sandals hotels

(13 Posts)
AnotherFurry Thu 25-Dec-14 22:22:18

Pondering whether to book the new hotel in Barbados for next year but have been put off by some comments people have made about the service at sandals. The hotel has recently been taken over and is being renovated so can't go on any trip advisor comments but worried about some comments for other hotels.

At other adults only all inclusive resorts in places like Mexico (not sandals) we have found the service and staff to be excellent, falling over themselves to make sure you are happy.

However, there tends to be a trend on trip advisor about poor service at sandals and second rate treatment unless you get a butler suite and at their prices we could only afford the concierge rooms.

Has anyone been on a caribbean sandals holiday recently and if so what did you think of the service? Do you think it is value for money given that it seems you don't get waiter service by the pool and beach unless you have a butler?

hulahoopsilove Sat 27-Dec-14 20:32:12

we went to St Lucia Sandals and it was amazing ultra inclusive, service was out of this world. There were 8 restuarants, one didnt have the same wine that I'd had in another restuarant one evening and the staff without me asking or saying anything went to the other side of the resort to bring a couple of bottles. I would recommend without hesitation.

AnotherFurry Sun 28-Dec-14 08:11:57

Hi hula, did you opt for a standard room, concierge or butler? I have seen reports that the butlers reserve all the best beds and tables at restaurants so it's hard to get them?

hulahoopsilove Sun 28-Dec-14 14:20:10

No we have a delux room that's all and was lovely, gorgeous sea view as well. Tables in the restuarants were absolutely fine, the complex was so big and there are so many places to eat that i could never forsee a problem.

Also the staff are amazing nothing is too much trouble, what ever you asked for no matter how little or big they were at hand. You are not allowed to tip and they will not take anything you offer them....although on the last day my DH found one of our favourite bar tenders and gave him his nike trainers as a gift - like gold dust over there!!! In my opinion I wouldnt do the butler thing even I think if we had the money to afford it we loved exploring and doing our own thing.

We have a very romantic, wonderful time, no matter which pool we went in or restaurant or bar each one was luxurious, all branded spirits and excellent quality wines as well. We tried foods weve never even heard of (mawi, mawi fish cooked in a banana leaf was beautiful) and several of the restaurants the chefs cooked fresh infront of you.

My only negative and I suppose you will get this anywhere - it was full of Americans - we met some lovely people however there were the odd few that were very, very rude in particularly to staff - no please or thank yous and clicking of fingers - very rude!!!!!!!!!!!!

AnotherFurry Sun 28-Dec-14 14:41:14

Thanks hula, very interesting. Think the new sandals in Barbados is winning so far in our choices for next year and must admit the number of restaurants at sandals is very appealing.

TarkaTheOtter Sun 28-Dec-14 14:49:01

We stayed at the smallest resort on St Lucia (name escapes me). Service was brilliant and there were regular transfers to the other sandals resorts for a wider choice of restaurants. There was no tipping on the resort but we found that we were expected to tip a lot on one of the official day trips and the atmosphere was quite uncomfortable.

dreamingofsun Sun 28-Dec-14 17:30:33

we nearly went for our honeymoon - which was 20 years ago - so probably changed a bit since then. to st lucia. the thing that put us off was feedback by another couple that it was a bit like a 'holiday camp'.

UnMasterChef Sun 28-Dec-14 21:33:02

We went one to one about 10 years ago and it was good. However we've also been to Couples hotels as well, which we preferred same level of all inclusive as Sandals, but less corporate and less like a holiday village, we really liked it there, one of the few places we have been to twice (and would go back to again)

hulahoopsilove Wed 31-Dec-14 11:24:12

It didnt feel like a holiday camp to us...far from it in fact. It was luxurious and the quality of all of the food and restaurants was fabulous.

As I always say you have to try for yourself

AnotherFurry Thu 01-Jan-15 13:14:43

Thanks everyone for your experiences.

Just spent several days looking at holiday websites and decided that sandals was just too expensive to get everything that we wanted i.e. all inclusive, drinks and food service on beach, 24 hour room service for rainy lazy days, many restaurants with no reservations etc when we can get the same service for around £2-4k less at mexico. Really want to see places like barbados but decided to wait until we have a bit more cash to spend grin

sharingeverythingtwice Thu 01-Jan-15 13:24:34

We went on honeymoon 12 years ago, was definitely like a posh Butlins and not at all the luxurious resort that was advertised, to the extent that we got over £3,000 back when we got home and complained. Another couple who arrived the same day as us and had spent £10,000, on their holiday left the next day, we lasted 5 nights. Would never, ever, ever go back for a luxurious couples holiday, but would consider the beaches resorts etc as the same thing would work really well for families with children.

Justputyourshoesonnow Thu 01-Jan-15 17:38:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BIWI Thu 01-Jan-15 17:41:19

Go to Turtle Beach, which is right next door to Sandals in Barbados. Lovely hotel, good service, all inclusive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now