Talk

Advanced search

Priority seating on buses

(3 Posts)
HVR2014 Sat 06-Dec-14 22:06:23

When I was pregnant with my first child, I got on a bus at 38 weeks with very few empty seats on the ground floor and two empty priority seats, I decided to sit in one of them. At the next stop I could see an older lady (around 60/70) and daughter running across the road to get the bus. They obviously wanted to sit together so the older lady aggressively asked me if I was disabled. I had a bag infront of my bump and perhaps she didn't notice it but she didn't give me a chance to speak and just kept saying are you disabled? I was really upset by her aggressiveness so just stood up and moved as I didn't want to get in to an argument. If there were no other seats of course I would have moved if she had needed it but there was a perfectly adequate seat next to me. Funnily enough as soon as I moved both her and her daughter sat in the priority seats. A couple of years have passed now and I'm pregnant with my second. I'm just over 4 months and feeling pretty rough. For the first time in ages I got a bus home and again, there were two priority seats at the front free whilst the rest of the bus was full so I decided to sit in the seat and move if someone less able came on. Within 5 minutes, an older lady came on. I assumed she would sit next to me but instead she sat in the fold down seat in the disabled area, looked at me and said 'you don't look disabled'. I was speechless at her rudeness. Of course I would have moved but there was a free seat next to me. I simply asked her 'would you like my seat' and she said no. I get upset pretty easily but an astonished and saddened by how rude people can be. Now put off using public transport for the rest of this pregnancy!

superram Sat 06-Dec-14 22:20:07

They are both rude, ignore and don't worry. I took a buggy on the bus today, a wheelchair got on. I moved the buggy and asked if they needed me to fold. He said no too much room,could fit his wheelchair and 2 buggies. Everyone happy. Most people really needing a seat would be polite.

iwantgin Sun 07-Dec-14 13:58:34

You were unlucky to come across rude passengers.

To me - a heavily pregnant woman is quite deserving of a priority seat. If they could run across the road, they weren't actually any more in need of the seat than you were?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now