Talk

Advanced search

Girona or Porto for a short break.

(15 Posts)
Celticlass2 Wed 03-Dec-14 19:02:35

Couple of friends and I are planning a short break(3 nights) We've narrowed it down to these two destinations.
Flights for both are very reasonable and from our local airport.
Haven't been to either before. We like nice restaurants, sightseeing, chilling by the pool if the weather permits. We're thinking of may/ June.
Help me choose. Where would you go?

flightywoman Wed 03-Dec-14 19:04:36

Girona is lovely. Enough to sightsee, but short train ride to Barcelona if you want. Nice bars, good tapas. I'd go again.

Christelle2207 Wed 03-Dec-14 19:06:13

I wouldn't go to Girona but isn't it very close to Barcelona? That would be a fan choice -Porto is lovely but somewhat lacking in atmosphere /nightlife compared to Barca.

Celticlass2 Wed 03-Dec-14 19:07:09

Thanks Flirty That's a tick for Girona. smile

Celticlass2 Wed 03-Dec-14 19:10:43

Been to Barca loads of times, so want to try somewhere else. Not really in to nightlife much, more a nice meal and cocktails type of thing.

Mintyy Wed 03-Dec-14 19:10:58

Both are wonderful. Lucky you [green].

Mintyy Wed 03-Dec-14 19:11:18

Of course, I meant envy!

Celticlass2 Wed 03-Dec-14 19:13:42

Thanks Christelle looking for a quiet chilled out time so Porto would probably fit the bill. Not after a wild time really. Just a recharge batteries type of break.

Celticlass2 Wed 03-Dec-14 19:17:26

Thanks Minty I think we're going to end up tossing a coin smile

Mintyy Wed 03-Dec-14 19:20:49

Girona is pretty and atmospheric, but rather touristy (as you might imagine).

Porto is a little off the beaten track and has a wonderful wide river. And lots of Port ... which I happen to love!

I've always had a soft spot for Portugal and the Portuguese to. I feel more welcomed there than in Spain.

But, as I say, both are very nice and I would gladly visit both again.

iwantgin Wed 03-Dec-14 19:26:08

Out of the two I have only been to G irona- and that was just for a day trip from a resort on the Costa Brava. I really liked it and will visit again to see more. The proximity to Barcelona makes it a hit also.

However Porto looks good too.

No help at all was I ? grin

I am sure you will have a great time, whichever you choose.

Costacoffeeplease Wed 03-Dec-14 19:56:15

Porto is great, very scenic along the Douro, lots of opportunities for wine/port tasting, close to the coast and lots of sightseeing - ticks all the boxes! Have a great time

Celticlass2 Wed 03-Dec-14 19:59:02

Thanks guys. Leaning a bit more towards Porto only because we have been to Spain lots, but not so much to Portuagal, and DH wants to go to Girons at some stage, so we could do that as a family holiday.

I agree with Minty. Loved the Portuguese and found them really friendly.
Friends have left the decision with me this year as we take turns in choosing.
I'll ponder a bit more before finally deciding.

Slowdownsally Wed 03-Dec-14 20:01:59

Love girona!

The old city is beautiful and there are some incredible restaurants near the main theatre.

It's really very beautiful and easy to fly to as well.

Celticlass2 Thu 04-Dec-14 18:39:21

Well, met with friends this morning, and have decided on Girona. There was really nothing to choose between them, so in the end we decided it on flight times. Girona flights are daytime and are better than the evening ones to Porto- will give us more time there.
I will be looking for an opportunity to visit Porto in the not too distant future thoughsmile.
Thanks for all comments and advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now