Talk

Advanced search

Heathrow T5 baby strollers?

(9 Posts)
Beaglebaby Sun 30-Nov-14 14:23:26

I'm transitting in T5 with a 16 month old and want to know if they have baby strollers available? I'm told that even if I wheel mine to the aircraft door at place of origin, I wont get it back until I reach the final destination, along with the rest of my luggage. I have a baby carrier but am 6 months pregnant and not really relishing the idea of carrying an 11kg child along with all our other stuff whilst queuing at immigration and then whilst traipsing to our next gate. We have a 3hr wait, DC may fall asleep in a stroller but wont in carrier.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 30-Nov-14 16:38:39

No, they do not have baby strollers at T5 (after the debacle at Gatwick where people stole them I do not think they will plan to bring them in either).

Are you transiting through Heathrow T5 from within the UK or from outside the UK?. I ask that as you would normally follow all the signs for transit passengers.

You should be able to take the stroller right up to the jetway entrance at your initial departure point. Then the ground staff will put it in the hold, sometimes though the aircrew can take it for you and stow it on board.

You may also be able to get your stroller back at the entrance to the jetway after disembarking your initial flight into Heathrow.

TeaandHobnobs Sun 30-Nov-14 16:45:15

This might be crap suggestion, Beagle, as I understand they are quite pricey, and you are probably not looking to buy a new stroller, but I understand the Babyzen Yoyo folds small enough to go in the overhead lockers, so you wouldn't have to hand it in at all?
Failing that, get in touch with whoever deals with assistance at T5 (their website suggests you have to book through your airline) and explain your situation, and ask what they can do to help you. As Attila said, they may be able to return your stroller to you as you disembark (I'm pretty sure this happened when I landed at T5 from America recently?)

Mintberrycrunch Sun 30-Nov-14 16:49:23

If it's with ba then get them to tag buggy as return to aircraft door, then you can use your own transitting. I imagine that on departure on the second leg ensure you re tag it, ie new baggage tag and same return to aircraft tag.

Mintberrycrunch Sun 30-Nov-14 16:50:20

It's a biggish orange label.

Beaglebaby Sun 30-Nov-14 23:28:50

I'm arriving from outside the UK, my final destination is in the UK. BA all the way. I think I will take my own stroller though I read on here I can take it to the gate but won't get it back until I get all the luggage back at end of journey? I will use PPs suggestion with a bit of begging if necessary that I really need my stroller at Heathrow. Friends and research has told me immigration can take ages and the walk will be miles. If I put her down in the queue she will run away. If I force her to be carried she will scream. If I let her try walk to next gate she will run here and there and we'll never get there. She needs to be restrained and pushed! I will take the carrier too just incase my stroller doesn't appear. It's uncomfortable after 10 minutes now but I guess I need a back up incase there is no alternative.

Thanks for the baby zen stroller suggestion, not crap but not an option as I already have two and will need to buy a double soon.

Beaglebaby Sun 30-Nov-14 23:30:09

Will check website for assistance as suggested above.

Gunpowder Sun 30-Nov-14 23:34:23

Beagle have you tried her with a little backpack with reins? Like the littlelife animal ones.

Gunpowder Sun 30-Nov-14 23:35:17

Good luck btw. So tricky when you're by yourself travelling with toddlers. flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now