Talk

Advanced search

Where would you go for Feb half term if you're not so outdoorsy?

(16 Posts)
3BloodyKids Sat 29-Nov-14 11:50:26

We'd really like to go away for February half term, but stuck for ideas that don't involve long haul.

If it was just me and DH, a cottage somewhere scenic would be perfect, but I think the kids would soon get bored if the weather's bad. We're not really the types to don waterproofs and head up a mountain, but what else is there to do in February?

Mostlyjustaluker Sat 29-Nov-14 11:52:26

York?

longestlurkerever Sat 29-Nov-14 11:53:02

A city break? What about Paris on the eurostar? Could do a day at disney and some sightseeing?

Or somewhere snowy, even if not for skiing?

3BloodyKids Sat 29-Nov-14 12:22:35

ooh, York's nice isn't it? It's a long long time since I've been mind. Are there a lot of things to do with kids?

We did think about Euro Disney, but wondered if it could be a bit miserable in February. Maybe just a day would be fine, even if it's cold and rainy?

specialsubject Sat 29-Nov-14 12:41:50

Canaries? (The usual answer to this!)

TheSpottedZebra Sat 29-Nov-14 12:44:32

.Centre Parcs? To offer an even more MN ish answer.

3BloodyKids Sat 29-Nov-14 13:17:29

mmm...sunshine would be nice!

Not keen on Centre Parcs. We went one Feb half term, it was heaving and the pool was absolutely minging with too many bodies and cloudy floating things <boak> My kids aren't old enough to swim alone yet unfortunately.

mummymeister Sat 29-Nov-14 18:31:28

Barcelona or rome. we stayed in great appartments in both places ideal for a family of 5 and cheaper than a hotel. pm me for details.

ChristmasJumperWearer Sat 29-Nov-14 18:33:46

City break to Southern Europe - Barcelona, Madrid, Rome. Or Majorca, Ibiza, Canaries?

Amateurish Sun 30-Nov-14 17:31:12

Canaries is the best bet for that time of year

Dowser Wed 10-Dec-14 08:55:43

Glasgow or Cardiff. York. Any of the major cities should have plenty to keep you amused.

If its sunshine and heat Egypt is supposed to be nice that time of year. Canaries lovely just not quite so warm

Lovage Wed 10-Dec-14 10:36:45

I was going to say York too! We went last Feb half term and it was great. Loads of indoor things to do, easy to find kid-friendly food (world's most glamorous Pizza Express, although don't get fobbed off with 'the kitchen' room - hang out for the old gentlemen's club rooms) and a nice walkable size city.

If abroad, I wouldn't go for Paris or Eurodisney - bitingly cold at that time of year, much worse than London. I went to Seville in December one year and that was great. Or Granada?

3BloodyKids Wed 10-Dec-14 18:52:07

ooh another vote for York eh? What indoor things did you do Lovage?

Lovage Thu 11-Dec-14 10:17:03

We were particularly going for Viking themed things because that was DS1's topic in school that term - there was a whole Viking festival going on that half-term. I got the impression that it was an annual event, so if Vikings are of any interest to your lot, that could be good. There were just loads of events and most of them were free.

We went to the Yorvick viking centre, natch, and the Yorkshire Museum. There's also the railway museum, which we didn't go to but is supposed to be great if that's your kind of thing. And the Castle Museum is very kid-friendly too, although we didn't make it this time. There are several smaller museums too. And the ubiquitous multiplexes, play areas and swimming pools if you are getting desperate.

We also did outdoor things because the weather wasn't that bad - walked some of the walls, which everyone enjoyed - views of city for adults and endless possibilities for pretending to be archers and attackers for everyone. We also went up Clifford's Tower, which I don't think would have been worth the money but we got in for free with friends.

Kids were then 5 and 7.

It was great (apart from the all-sleeping-in-one-small-hotel-room bit)

3BloodyKids Thu 11-Dec-14 16:34:12

that's really helpful, thank you!

LillianGish Thu 11-Dec-14 16:40:07

I was coming on here to say York! Absolutely brilliant place - have been several times and always in Feb half-term. Lots to do inside or out. Not sure where you love, but we were in London and always went train as you really don't need a car and it's only 2 hours from London versus a much longer drive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now