Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Sydney January 6months pregnant

(11 Posts)
Amyanne Sat 29-Nov-14 02:17:21

Considering a trip to visit a friend in Sydney. I have never been and would love to see all the well-know must see sights. I will be 6 months pregnant and my husband thinks that it will be way too hot and uncomfortable for me to be doing much walking around and seeing stuff outside. I know that the temperatures really can soar at that time of year and it was unpleasant being hot in a very hot place (not as hot as this would be) last pregnancy, but I wasn't on holiday so was happy to spend a lot of time indoors under a/c. But I really want to go! Anyone done something similar when pregnant? What you reckon? Should I consider somewhere cooler? My cooler options are still around the 30 degrees mark.

PotteringAlong Sat 29-Nov-14 02:22:07

For me in both pregnancies I wouldn't have wanted to do the flight at 6 months.

ShanghaiDiva Sat 29-Nov-14 02:30:37

Agree with pottering, the flight would put me off more than the heat.

Amyanne Sat 29-Nov-14 02:40:51

Luckily that's not too much of a concern as I'm not flying from the UK so the flight time will be significantly shorter than if I was with no transfers etc. I might also have the option of using hubs air miles for an upgrade to business class so I can at least lie down and sleep.

ChaircatMiaow Sat 29-Nov-14 03:04:47

Honestly, I would advise against it. January here gets almost unbearable even if you're not pregnant. In your condition, it would be hell and you won't be able to get out and about and see/do the things that make this city awesome.

I'm 31 weeks and having to constantly stay inside at the mo - it's only November! This summer in particular is predicted to be extremely hot and dry due to an El Niño. I really wouldn't recommend it and suggest that you come another time of year once your baby is born.

HowsTheSerenity Sat 29-Nov-14 03:32:45

Long flight, middle of summer, potential for preterm delivery therefore racking up hospital bills and extended stay.... So I'd say no.

Amyanne Sat 29-Nov-14 03:37:49

chaircat, thanks for that. As I mentioned earlier, it won't be a long flight so getting there won't be a problem but I really wanted to know if I'd still be able to enjoy doing stuff. It's good to hear from someone who is pregnant and suffering (not glad that you're suffering, but you know what I mean!) I think I will leave it in favour of plan B..... also a bit adventurous (but cooler) so might have to mull that over too. Hmmm.

ChaircatMiaow Sun 30-Nov-14 08:52:01

Sorry amy, just would hate for it to be the holiday from hell for you. Definitely come and visit another time of year smile

tertle Sun 30-Nov-14 09:03:10

I think if you would be happy lounging on your friend's sofa if it's too hot to go out, then you should go. But if you are really desperate to do all the touristy stuff then it's probably going to be disappointing.

I travelled long haul to new york to see family when I was 6 months pg. Lots of people were hmm and it was fine. But I was happy to go back to my sister's and chat to her on the sofa when I got too tired for sightseeing!

Scotinoz Tue 02-Dec-14 19:53:46

I'm only 17 weeks but I've been whinging about Melbourne temps lately - only hitting the low 30s. I'm really not looking forward to Jan/Feb when it's going to hit the 40s.

That said, I reckon go if you feel up to it. The flight isn't too bad (I did the uk - au route at 29wks), especially if you can upgrade. And if you plan your days to sightsee first and last thing, and laze in a/c'd shops, cafés, houses etc when it's hottest it'll be fine.

Madcats Mon 08-Dec-14 21:25:50

I went for my 12 weeks scan ...when we discovered I was 23 weeks. Admittedly I am big boned...still had some old muscles I guess...

Other friends were "suffering terribly" for about 6 months

It really depends

30 or 40 degrees isn't my idea of fun, so maybe suss out the humidity/zircon situation.

I dragged DD round to Oz when she was 15 months and we loved it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now