Talk

Advanced search

Copenhagen - how much spending money?

(17 Posts)
Wellthatsit Wed 26-Nov-14 12:47:48

We are off for a post Christmas trip to Copenhagen but having never been, I don't know how much spending money to take. We are two adults, and one 12 year old.

We have booked flights and a hotel without breakfast included, but nothing else yet.

I am prepared for things to be relatively expensive, but any guidance on how much we would need for meals and activities per day would be much appreciated.

We are not hugely fussy, and happy to rough it a bit (like buying bread and a bit of cheese from a market for lunch etc) but don't want the complete lonely planet, student budget experience either, if that makes sense.

I always underestimate the cost of holidays and end up having to withdraw back up cash at the cash machine half way through the holiday.

specialsubject Wed 26-Nov-14 14:12:45

can't help with costs - but surely you aren't planning to take all your holiday money in cash anyway?

you take a float, tell your bank where you are going and withdraw more as you need it.

EdYouKateShaun Wed 26-Nov-14 14:15:18

Copenhagen is so expensive! £5 for a 125ml glad of house wine 10 years ago. I loved the city but had to eat at Burger King as couldn't afford anywhere else.

Wellthatsit Wed 26-Nov-14 21:46:34

Thanks for the advice. Hoping we don't have to eat in Burger King! Special, I think you're right. Can't take a huge lump of cash, but don't want to incur charges every time we withdraw any cash.

ArchangelGallic Wed 26-Nov-14 21:49:12

Lots! Went about 7 years ago. Paid 2.50 for small bottle of water from city centre supermarket. About 10 euros for a sandwich in cafe although very nice.

Floralnomad Wed 26-Nov-14 22:00:05

We had a weekend in Copenhagen in December 2012 and TBH I don't remember it being that expensive ,we ate at the Hard Rock Cafe and in Tivoli gardens and also had room service at the Hotel . i recommend the canal tour ,it was lovely but very ,very cold.

Artandco Wed 26-Nov-14 22:03:19

You only get charged for cash withdrawals abroad, using card in restaurant/ shop is fine. So I would pay for most meals on card tbh

TheBogQueen Wed 26-Nov-14 22:11:16

We went in April.

There are lovely bakeries and cafés to eat in - we got lovely baguettes in the shopping centre! Lunchtime is really easy.

Dinner time - much more expensive. Even the most ordinary restaurants were expensive.

We ate at an all-you-can-eat Turkish place which was cheap and good. You will see them around.

I hope you get to the Tivoli Gardens! Loved Copenhagen.

3nationsfamily Thu 27-Nov-14 16:07:22

I would factor in about 25% extra for food/ travel/ attractions vs the UK prices for the same. It is eye wateringly expensive!

nilbyname Thu 27-Nov-14 18:20:05

No Copenhagen travel advice, but when we travel we-

Pay for all supermarket/restaurant/shopping biggish items with your card and save your cash for smaller items

Chottie Thu 27-Nov-14 18:22:24

It is expensive! but it is a beautiful city. We went at the beginning of December and it was freezing - dress warmly. There are lots of cobbled streets too.

Swingball Thu 27-Nov-14 18:33:37

I went a few weeks ago and tbh I didn't find it that much more expensive than home for meals and wine. It wasn't as bad as I was led to believe.

Although where I live in the UK tends to be on the expensive side. It is a beautiful place and the people are lovely. Well worth it.

Wellthatsit Fri 28-Nov-14 12:03:52

THanks for all you tips, everyone. Useful advice...

Lordofmyflies Wed 03-Dec-14 18:41:46

We went last pre- Christmas. It is expensive, £6 for a coffee, £10 for an open sandwich. However, the museums are free or very cheap. It's compact so if you are happy to walk, transport costs are nil.
Tivoli was not cheap but worth every penny. As it was cold, we were stopping a lot for hot drinks, mulled cider etc, and probably spending £150 a day as a family of four.

HolgerDanske Wed 03-Dec-14 18:52:01

Proud Dane here smile

Don't have much current knowledge about prices as I don't live there and haven't for years, but yes it is expensive. Think London prices I guess. Without as many cheap(ish) eateries for evening.

I know it's 'junk food' but you must, must, MUST try the hotdogs from the famous danish hotdog carts. They are dotted about everywhere so you'll come across them I'm sure. There are lots of options but my favourite is the red sausage hotdog with all the trimmings (raw onion, crispy onion, sweet pickled cucumber, ketchup and mustard). So good. Best in the world, in fact.

HolgerDanske Wed 03-Dec-14 18:52:50

And they're very good with a beer smile

Enjoy the best city in the world!

Madcats Mon 08-Dec-14 21:41:45

Wrong island(s)....in summer.....the touristy places are pricey, but the supermarkets are okay. We drank alcohol at home and took bottles of water with us and snacks.

We self-catered in Jutland and it seemed okay price-wise (but we researched whereabouts of Aldi and Nettos and we do buy from Ocado here!)

It is probably worth paying £ to pop a case in the hold (with (pen)knife, butter knife and corkscrew in it. and a few bits of seasoning)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now