Talk

Advanced search

Asian summer holiday: are we mad?

(16 Posts)
violetsareblue11 Sun 23-Nov-14 20:59:21

This past summer we spent out summer in the USA (in the Deep South to be precise), the summer before it was France, before that it was Italy, so we were looking for somewhere different next summer. We've spent a lot of time in the US and Europe, and took the kids to South Africa one summer (amazing but expensive!) so now, we were contemplating taking them to Asia! DH and I went to Malaysia pre-kids, and loved it, so have some form of experience of Asia. We were thinking maybe Laos, as it seems more unspoilt than some of the other countries, and has some stunning landscapes and historical sites (also, we fell in love with it after watching that documentary, Sue Perkins on the Mekong River!). Alternatively, what's the general opinions on South Korea and Japan? Both look very exciting. DC's are 11, 12 (will be 13 by the time we go) and 14 (will be 15 by the time we go). We just can't decide!

specialsubject Sun 23-Nov-14 21:58:51

check weather for when you are going - there is a right side and a wrong side depending on the monsoon, which Ms Perkins' airhead documentary probably didn't cover.

also remember Laos is malarial and you need to be fully jabbed up.

Pixa Sun 23-Nov-14 22:03:08

We went to Thailand and Cambodia during their respective monsoon seasons, and they weren't too bad at all. Fifteen minutes of heavy rain pour per day and then brilliant sunshine.

I loved Cambodia (however, didn't travel with children) but there was a Danish couple travelling with their rather young DCs.

I would love to go to Laos. Have you also considered Borneo?

mummymeister Sun 23-Nov-14 23:51:53

Belize. often overlooked not many brits go there but has everything. 2nd largest barrier reef in the world for snorkelling and diving. lots of mayan ruins, jungle etc. they speak English and its a non malarial area. also we did a tour of Canada when ours were a similar age. fantastic time. pm me for details of either place.

ShanghaiDiva Wed 26-Nov-14 00:45:19

Laos will be wet then, but it's a great time to go to Borneo. Indonesia will also be dry then.

ShanghaiDiva Wed 26-Nov-14 01:19:44

Japan will be hot and sticky in the summer. Kyoto is amazing and you can easily take the train for there to Naha to see the deer and lots more temples! We rented at traditional house in Kyoto (think there are about 60 of them) through flip key. Okinawa is nice if you fancy some sand and sea during your visit.
I have been to Seoul several times and it is a great city - easy to navigate on the metro and fabulous palaces and museums. You can also go out to the DMZ which is interesting. Have also been to jeju island which is where lots of Koreans go for their honeymoon. Beaches have black volcanic sand and there are several geologically interesting areas to visit e.g towers of hexagonal rocks.

BB01 Wed 26-Nov-14 15:42:10

Would think Japan would be fabulous. Spent a month there and want to take DD when she's older. Amazingly different and yet very US-like in ways in the cities - lots of neon, cartoons, unusual clothes, fast food and amazing sushi. There's some beautiful islands south of Okinawa if you fancy some beach time without the hordes of backpackers you get in SE Asia. Having said that Thailand would be fab too or Vietnam but I just love the efficiency and cleanliness of Japan and think I'd go for there over the others for the stress-free element. We went to Japan in July and it wasn't as sticky as I imagined though prob not best out of the seasons. Can't remember what SE Asia was like in summer but think again prob not ideal but unlikely to be major problem.

BB01 Wed 26-Nov-14 15:43:01

Sorry you didn't even mention Thailand - I'm just a huge fan! Laos looks fab but is there as much to do?

MillyMollyMama Thu 27-Nov-14 21:11:20

If you thought South Africa was expensive, Japan can be pricy for a family. We thought SA was cheap !

BB01 Fri 28-Nov-14 08:42:06

Really Milly? I didn't find it too bad at all compared to what I expected. Nice accommodation could be dear and many restaurants too but there are so many noodle bar type places and cheaper accommodation like little inns. But my memory might be off - it was a few years back now! Oh I do remember internal flights being unbelievably expensive and possibly rail travel being dear too.

BB01 Fri 28-Nov-14 08:43:23

But yes it is much more expensive than Thailand, Vietnam etc.

Amyanne Sat 29-Nov-14 01:58:38

Laos would be fantastic and not mad at all. There are a lot of interesting parts of the country to travel around to and explore. I was there one August and I don't really remember it raining much.

Amyanne Sat 29-Nov-14 01:59:55

Laos would be fantastic and not mad at all. There are a lot of interesting parts of the country to travel around to and explore. I was there one August and I don't really remember it raining much.

Siennasun Sun 30-Nov-14 20:04:37

I'm planning to take DS to Seoul when he's a bit older. I wouldn't plan to spend a lot of time outside in the summer though. It's either very hot and humid or monsoon.
I've not been there for years but was very cheap to eat out, metro, shop etc. lots of things to see and very safe and family orientated.

japaneseplum Thu 04-Dec-14 04:09:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

5446 Thu 04-Dec-14 05:18:22

Japan is beautiful in October.

I find South Africa so cheap, but then I am living in Singapore which is so bloody expensive.

Laos is gorgeous, I also adore Cambodia for the culture and maybe break it up with a couple of days lying on a beach on a Malaysian island?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now