Talk

Advanced search

NYC in January - are we mad?!

(17 Posts)
Misty9 Sat 22-Nov-14 22:45:47

Tonight dh and I have been discussing the possibility of a trip to NYC in January for my birthday...with our then 9 month old dd and 3yo ds.

Are we mad? Would do direct flight to Newark and the Salisbury hotel seems decent and close to Central Park. We've flown a few time short haul with ds, both as a baby and with his own seat, but nothing long haul. And the weather, freezing?

Bonkers?? [getting slightly excited at the prospect]

SwedishEdith Sat 22-Nov-14 22:48:58

It's usually very cold. And your kids will get nothing out of it. I'd either leave it for 10 years or go if you can go without them.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 23-Nov-14 08:44:49

It can be only around 4 degrees c in January with a biting cold wind to boot.

Salisbury Hotel on 57th is a nice hotel.

Honestly I would not go there then with your children (I do realise you have a January birthday) but in any case later in the year like say in April for instance.

nightswift Sun 23-Nov-14 09:00:50

It is not the flight that would concern me but the cold. It could be biting and hard in you toddler.

wigglesrock Mon 24-Nov-14 10:53:02

I've been to New York in January twice, it was freezing, I don't mean pop the heating on, extra jumper type freezing. I mean bone chilling painful freezing. I had a fantastic time both times but I'm not sure I'd do it with a child.

cheerup Mon 24-Nov-14 13:20:12

I went in Feb. It was bloody freezing and the insulating power of Converse is zero. My feet have never been so cold.

MillyMollyMama Thu 27-Nov-14 21:18:22

Don't do it! Your children will grizzle all the time. Go to Dubai. Warm with a shorter flight.

Celticlass2 Mon 01-Dec-14 10:01:00

I wouldn't go in January, and I definitely wouldn't go with children that young. Wait until they are older.
Go somewhere warm, and save the New York trip for an Adult only trip, or for when your children are much older.

DidYouKnow Mon 01-Dec-14 10:06:31

I've been to New York in November and January and November was definitely colder. Also have a January birthday and I don't remember it being too cold to do anything. Although this was without children. You may be mad to do it with kids but it may also be a great adventure for you all! grin

DidYouKnow Mon 01-Dec-14 10:21:53

However, I would be concerned what there is to do in New York with a 9 month and a 3 year old. If most of the activities are outdoors then it may not be so much fun for everyone.

Celticlass2 Mon 01-Dec-14 18:22:45

I had posted on another thread about going to Boston in February. We have decided to leave it till Easter, as even though the weather would probably not stop us having a good time, it would most definitely limit what we would do.
Really want to do outdoorsy stuff, so don't mind if it's crisp and cold, but don't want it to be freezing.

Gfplux Tue 02-Dec-14 19:58:09

New York, freezing in January. I was once there when there was so much snow the airport was closed for three days.

sonjaj74 Fri 05-Dec-14 17:07:57

I don't think you're mad at all. Tho we used to live there so I'd be better aware of what to expect weather-wise. The wind is harsh but bundle the kids up in those all in 1 ski suits, wind covers on prams, you'll be fine. Plus if its snowing decent snow boots for you. We took evie there in December when she was 1 and she loved it andwill be back dec of next year. That hotel location is fine- the zoo, fao Schwartz are all there. If you're a Gymboree member, there's one not too far that you can go to during their open times.
Manhattan is v family friendly and super easy to get around so i think as long as you're prepared, clothing wise, I see no reason why not! Plus, the flight isn't far at all. I say, go for it!!

mirpuppet Sat 06-Dec-14 12:37:24

There is too much of a risk that it will be too cold for the 9 month old.

Nothing worse then going to NYC and having to spend all your time in a hotel room.

Southeastdweller Sat 06-Dec-14 12:43:13

I couldn't be arsed taking kids that young and in that weather - I've been in December and that was cold enough, and I only had myself to look after.

TheEnduringMoment Sat 06-Dec-14 12:45:22

There's lots to do indoors in New York, but I would worry about the cold for the 3 year old in particular (baby can be fleeced up to its eyeballs in pram). Apart from anything else you'd need to pack twice as much as for a normal trip what with all the layers/ski gloves/snow boots.

I'd happily go myself in January, all North-Faced-up but not with a 3 year old. Even if you planned to can it everywhere I think there'd be tears before bedtime.

TheEnduringMoment Sat 06-Dec-14 12:45:51

"Can" = "cab"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now