Talk

Advanced search

Getting to Heathrow Christmas eve with limited time!

(9 Posts)
JellyRyan123 Wed 19-Nov-14 13:44:49

I need some help! I am a nurse working in north west london (hampstead), originally from dublin, hoping to make it home this christmas eve to visit my family. The problem is, I;m working until 5ish christmas eve and have booked a flight for 1945 that evening. Am I totally stupid or will I make it?? I'm trying to figure out best way to get to Heathrow? Taxi? Tubes? I am so stressed thinking about this as it is my first christmas in London I don't know what to expect!!! If anyone can shed some light that would be amazing!

mellicauli Wed 19-Nov-14 14:02:12

Have a look at the transport for london site. Some transport shuts down quite early on Christmas Eve. I would keep checking the website until TFL make an announcement about arrangements for Xmas eve. It says it usually takes an hour to get from Hampstead to Heathrow via tube and the Heathrow Express so if services are running you should be OK. if not, you've plenty of time for a taxi (although you'd have to book well in advance and prepare to pay through the nose..)

JellyRyan123 Wed 19-Nov-14 14:05:38

Ok so you reckon traffic wouldn't be a nightmare? That's my worry to be honest, I just want to get to the airport and worry about tackling security!! The tubes run until Sunday hours christmas eve, but the express train stops at 4pm! So that would be out of the question.. I would hate to book a taxi and then be stuck in traffic!

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 19-Nov-14 14:06:16

Any chance at all of finishing your shift earlier; say 3.00pm?.

I doubt very much whether you will make it to Heathrow in time if you go by either taxi (that will certainly cost a fair bit) or by tube (which will involve a change of trains at Kings Cross from the Northern Line onto the Piccadilly line) and also you're going to have to be at Heathrow at least 90 minutes before also to clear security as well.

JellyRyan123 Wed 19-Nov-14 14:13:35

I'm actually meant to be working until 8pm but negotiated with my boss and 5pm is her most generous offer!! I am taking only carry on so that should save some time? I know I'll probably be pushing it, but say it takes me 1.5hrs to get to the airport, that leave me with 1.25 hours to get through security and board the flight? Please tell me that's achievable!!

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 19-Nov-14 14:29:43

Presumably you're going to pick up a Northern line train at Hampstead. How long will it take you to walk to the station from the hospital?. All that needs to be factored in as well. It may well take you upwards of an hour to get to Heathrow even from Kings Cross on the Piccadilly Line.

JellyRyan123 Wed 19-Nov-14 14:32:23

Takes about 5mins to walk there. I'll pay for a taxi if it means me getting there quicker but I dunno how traffic on christmas eve is like (especially at rush hour). I am so stressed thinking about this!

elfofftheshelf Wed 19-Nov-14 15:05:47

You should be able to make it. If you check in on line the day before and have no luggage you should be fine with an hour to spare when you get to the airport.

SoldeInvierno Wed 19-Nov-14 21:27:18

most offices close at midday on that day, so I don't think the traffic would be as bad as other days. I have driven through London on Christmas eve in the afternoon a few times and it has been OK. Book a taxi, tell them about the issue and they will get you there. make sure you check in online the day before so that you can go straight to security. Remember: no liquids over 100 mil in your luggage

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now