Talk

Advanced search

Passport: can I omit an unwanted middle name on DD's first passport

(18 Posts)
Mum2dem2 Thu 13-Nov-14 22:25:20

Hi there, I thought I'd seek out some advice from you guys, since there is no clear cut information I can find online.

My (5 month old) dd's name is Arden Kaia Jade Smythe on her birth certificate. (Last name made up for privacy) I think it's way too long. Long story about compromise on middle names when she was born.

I am applying for her First British passport. I don't want the middle name Jade to be on her passport.

I only want her name on the passport to be Arden Kaia Smythe. Does anyone know FOR SURE whether this is permissible since we are not changing the order or spelling of her name. And we are not adding a new name. We are just omitting ONE middle name.

If you can help, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

SilentAllTheseYears Thu 13-Nov-14 22:28:41

No idea but I don't think changing the last name is going to give you much privacy!

gamerchick Thu 13-Nov-14 22:29:56

I was just thinking that ^^

Bowlersarm Thu 13-Nov-14 22:30:06

I think you can. There are details on the website.

nochangewanted Thu 13-Nov-14 22:31:08

If you google passport applications there was a number you can ring for advise.. I would do that rather than get it wrong sent back and have to have photo resigned... Etc.

PatriciaHolm Thu 13-Nov-14 22:31:18

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/309596/Guidance_notes_4_14.pdf

Shows that you need to include middle names, and it needs to match the full original birth certificate. So you will need to include her middle names I'm afraid.

Mum2dem2 Thu 13-Nov-14 22:53:40

"Ifyounolongerwantyourmiddlenameto be included in your new passport when It has been on previous passports, tell us in section 8 Of the application form"

This is the part that confuses me: you can omit your middle name that was written on a previous passport. But I agree that it does state you must have all your names on the passport if it's a first passport. Damn it.

Mum2dem2 Thu 13-Nov-14 22:59:31

I found this on a gov.uk website pertaining to name changes. Read the last paragraph. I'll call the passport office in the morning:

https://www.gov.uk/changing-passport-information/minor-name-changes

"2. Minor changes to your name
You must send additional documents with your passport application if you:

change the spelling of your name slightly, eg Brian to Bryan or Jane to Jayne
change the order your forenames appear in your passport
add forenames or middle names
Show how you want your name to appear on your passport by sending a document with your name on it. Send one of the following:

letter from a local council or government department
driving licence
bank statement
baptismal or confirmation certificate

Don’t send any extra documents to remove a middle name from a passport. Explain the change in section 8 of the application form or in the additional information box if you apply online."

mummymeister Thu 13-Nov-14 23:19:44

why? surely this is going to be more hassle than it is worth? no one sees the name on a passport, only the border guards that look at it. you don't have to use all her names in RL.

Mum2dem2 Fri 14-Nov-14 00:14:52

wondering if it'll be a hassle not to change it... Bank accounts, marriage certificate, forms, certificates for school/uni. Welcome a discussion on it. I was forced by way of compromise for that second middle name, I really don't like it. I only have two names, and DD1 has a first middle and last. This second middle name was thrust upon me for DD2 and I'm still unhappy about it 5 months later.

mummymeister Fri 14-Nov-14 12:46:33

all 3 of mine have 2 middle names. when they are adults they can change them then if they want. I am going to let them have the hassle of doing it!! I actually like the name more than the other 2 - at least its going to be easy to spell. but I guess its personal taste and if you really don't want it then I would get the passport first with the current birth certificate and look at changing it after. not sure if there is a rule somewhere that if child is under 6 months you have the right to change the name with no hassle and issued a new certificate. I would very quickly telephone the registration of births, marriages and deaths office for advice.

Mum2dem2 Fri 14-Nov-14 14:34:35

Thanks mummymeister and everyone else who responded.

OwlCapone Fri 14-Nov-14 14:38:18

Isn't there a passport helpline you could phone? They should know for sure.

tywysogesgymraeg Fri 14-Nov-14 14:38:50

I would leave any future change of name to DD to decide. It is her name after all.

In the meantime, "full name" means "full name", not just the bits of it you like.

No-one will take any notice of DDs name as she passes through customs - the customs officer isn't going to pass comment - he processes thousands of passports per day.

No-one else will ever see DDs passport.

tywysogesgymraeg Fri 14-Nov-14 14:40:01

FWIW Jade is the only bit of the name which won't need explaining and spelling, so DD might like to keep it and use it when she's older!!!

DayLillie Fri 14-Nov-14 14:45:40

www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2009/sep/05/baby-name-change

This is an awful article in the Guardian about a mother who did not like the name she gave her son, and her rather boring whys, and wherefores. But apparently you can change your baby's name up to the age of 1

It is from 2009 so I don't know if it is still true, but worth following up?

lunar1 Fri 14-Nov-14 14:51:04

Do you have a post office check and send near you? They would know if you can miss it off.

UsainWho Sat 15-Nov-14 13:59:07

My DH unwittingly missed his middle name out on his passport, only found out recently when his application was questioned as it was different to his passport! Goodness knows when it went wrong, assume when he applied first as a late teenager. If you decide you do want the middle name included in the future, it is a whole new application (so DH just left his off).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now