Talk

Advanced search

Sa Coma Majorca holiday - AI or Half board? June or September?

(17 Posts)
MrsOs Tue 11-Nov-14 10:46:43

Hi,

I am planning our first ever holiday for next summer with our DS who will be 2 soon!

I have found a nice hotel that has a kids club and according to the reviews very good food. It is very close to a nice beach and also shops and restaurants.

The flight is only 2 hours and the transfer is 1 hr. All sounds good.. but I have a few concerns.

In June it is quite expensive and the flights are crazy times like 6am (so we would need to be at Gatwick for 4am) and coming home at something like 01.00! Just crazy. On 1st September I can get flights leaving at 4pm in the afternoon and coming back at 8pm. So more reasonable.

My only worry is what is Majorca like at the very beginning of September.

As for AI. We can upgrade when there to AI for a reasonable cost. Problem is the dinner starts at 7pm. Our DS is usually in bed by then! Do you think our DS's body clock will change on holiday.. if we let him nap in the afternoon do you think having dinner at 7pm might be workable?

do they tend to stay up later when they are a bit older anyway.

I'm just not too sure what to do. I look at other hotels and nothing seems to come close to the one I have found but I still have these few tiny reservations. If we don't do AI there still seems to be some reasonable restaurants in the local area where we could eat.

Grateful for any views..

goodtoesnaughtytoes Tue 11-Nov-14 11:12:43

Early September will be lovely and warm. It's a great time of year to go with babies/toddlers.

I've been to Sa Coma and didn't like it much.

Personally 7pm for my children to eat would be a bit late even on holiday.

TheFairyCaravan Tue 11-Nov-14 11:17:46

We went to Sa Coma in June about 15 years ago. It was really, really hot. You couldn't walk on the sand barefoot without burning your feet.

We love Majorca in September, I think it's the best time to go.

Personally, I think there are nicer places than Sa Coma. We love Cala D'Or.

SolomanDaisy Tue 11-Nov-14 11:21:46

With the time difference, 7pm would be just like 6pm for him anyway. And his sleeping pattern will change a lot in ten months. I wouldn't let that put you off.

MrsOs Tue 11-Nov-14 13:07:47

I'm worried now about going to sa coma now.. the reviews on trip advisor were very good.

any suggestions of somewhere else that isn't too far away and is geared up for kids?? somewhere central near a beach.

goodtoesnaughtytoes Tue 11-Nov-14 14:40:43

Majorca is perfect because of the short flight time and the lovely weather and beaches. We are going back to Peurto Pollensa next summer but also considered Cala D'or. The beach at Alcudia is great.

What I didn't like about Sa Coma was that it felt very much a man made tourist resort. Quite soulless.

NotMrsTumble Tue 11-Nov-14 14:45:56

Wouldn't go back to Sa Coma. It felt like Blackpool in the sun (don't get me wrong, I LOVE Blackpool, but it's not my idea of a summer/beach/relaxing holiday). Puerto-pollensa is lovely. Cyprus is a longer flight time but might be worth considering - paphos is lovely.

Didiusfalco Tue 11-Nov-14 14:58:10

We went to Sa Coma in June with DS who was just 4 at the time. It's not the nicest of the resorts, although it feels clean and safe, but we would definitely go back because we stayed in a hotel that was perfect for a family holiday. We stayed in the Sa Coma Playa, which is one of the Protur hotels and the food and staff were fantastic, also you can use the other Protur hotel facilities which are nearby, including the Safari, which is great for kids activities and just across the road. I wouldn't actually stay in the Safari though as it stays busy and noisy until quite late at night. We found it a really easy place to stay for a kids beach holiday, and in that sense I don't think you would be disappointed.

MrsOs Tue 11-Nov-14 16:47:27

I have looked at Puerto Pollensa and it looks really nice. On the Thomson website there is aparthotel playa mar which looks like a good option... anyone stayed there? It talks about little beaches along the promenade.. are they nice sandy beaches and is the town a huge walk?

MozzchopsThirty Tue 11-Nov-14 16:58:09

Stayed in the vista badia in sa coma

Hotel and kids club was amazing. Sa coma itself is rubbish, one short street with a handful of tourist shops and a few dreadful restaurants with laminated menus selling chicken curry and chips! I'd go AI if you're set on sa coma

Agree with posters recommending Cala D'or, loved it there

goodtoesnaughtytoes Tue 11-Nov-14 18:39:16

I agree entirely with mozzchops. We stayed at Vista Badia too.

We stayed at the Playa Mar when dd1 was almost 3. We liked it. It's a nice walk into town and the little coves are so pretty.

Also look at Club del Sol, Puerto Azul and Hoposa Villaconcha

goodtoesnaughtytoes Wed 12-Nov-14 20:42:32

Have you found somewhere you fancy MrsOs?

MrsOs Wed 12-Nov-14 21:27:04

Well i have found esmerelda park in cala d'or that has a lovely little beach on the doorstep. Its alot cheaper booked directly with the hotel and buying a flight seperately but i have never done that before.

Bunbaker Wed 12-Nov-14 21:31:00

"The beach at Alcudia is great."

That is about the only thing that is great about Alcudia. I didn't like it all. It was a bit kiss me quick and Blackpooly.

goodtoesnaughtytoes Thu 13-Nov-14 06:09:23

MrsOs, we always book separately as it works out cheaper. So far for next summer we have booked the hotel through A1 Travel (online) as it was massively cheaper than any other company or directly with the hotel.

For flights go on the Skyscanner website/app. This compares prices for the dates you want.

For us travelling from Manchester it's always cheapest with Ryanair (from experience they are not as bad as their reputation makes out as long as you follow all the rules) and they usually have decent departure times.

NotMrsTumble Thu 13-Nov-14 10:52:12

I've done the booking separately too. In fact last time I saved a fortune by re - checking and then rebooking the hotel as the date got nearer. Check to see if their cancellation policy allows you to cancel without penalty and always make sure the new booking is confirmed before you cancel the old one!

MrsOs Mon 17-Nov-14 12:55:57

I'm back to square one with the holiday the place I found in cala d'or has no splash park or slides for our ds so I just think he will get bored. am looking again. any suggestions gratefully received.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now