Talk

Advanced search

travel insurance after hospitalisation

(5 Posts)
wtftodo Sun 02-Nov-14 12:58:14

Hello, my 13mo has just been discharged from hospital after several nights due to bacterial pneumonia (she was admitted with respiratory failure). She will be seen in clinic in two months for follow up.

Her dad's family are all in the US and we are spending Christmas there. I'm worried about travel insurance - our current policy is with our Co-op current account. They agreed to cover her for egg, nut and peanut allergies as I said they aren't life threatening (we haven't been told they are, it says moderate on her action plan). I don't think they will cover her now though and she is also being treated with an inhaler for persistent night time cough.

Any recommendations for who we could approach for an annual family policy with the above issues?

mummymeister Sun 02-Nov-14 13:23:30

really tricky one if she has only just been discharged for something quite serious. first thing is to check with her consultant that she is fit to fly. if he/she can write a letter to that effect that will help. your current policy may cover you but it depends on what it says about pre existing conditions. would say that first thing you need to do is ring them and talk it through with them. we went through this with DC1 and although this was about a heart condition with resp failure, it was something of a nightmare to sort out. be absolutely certain you want her to travel. planes are notorious for resp bugs.

HermioneWeasley Sun 02-Nov-14 13:27:46

Firstly you need to check with you current provider - it may not be a pre existing condition if she's developed it during the lifetime of the policy.

If not, Benenden travel insurance do cover pre existing conditions, but it will affect the cost

mummymeister Sun 02-Nov-14 22:48:47

my experience of this is that insuring a child seems to be more expensive than say an adult with a similar condition. good luck OP. I know you want to go home for Christmas but might be a very expensive trip.

Babiecakes11 Sun 02-Nov-14 23:40:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now